|Golden Drugs / In The Midnight Sun Or Stubbornly Persistent Illusion|
|Album:||In The Midnight Sun Or Stubbornly Persistent Illusion||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Golden Drugs||Added:||Apr 2015|
|Label:||Porch Party Records|
|Add Date:||2015-05-02||Pull Date:||2015-07-03|
|Week Ending:||Jul 5||Jun 28||Jun 21||May 31||May 24||May 17||May 10|
|1.||Nov 29, 2016:||Magnetized Toner |
|4.||Jun 20, 2015:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|2.||Jul 03, 2015:||Breakaway Bluff |
|5.||May 28, 2015:||A Visit From Drum |
|3.||Jun 27, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand: Everyday Is Like Saturday |
|6.||May 19, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [SPQ05: 2ND HR - LEVITATION SPECIAL] |
Oakland-Based Golden Drugs’ debut album, In The Midnight Sun or Stubbornly Persistent Illusion, is a captivating exercise of unexpected turns, inventive and pleasing instrumental moments, wrapped around a sound described by the band itself as “dream-pop folk-goth psych-prog rock.” Contrast is a constant musical and lyrical element in this chaotic but cohesive recording. |
RIYL: Campo-Formio, The Mothers Of Invention, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Pond, and, The Flaming Lips’ Embryonic.
FCC WARNING: 3
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, (FCC) 3, and 4
1. (5:51) **Appalachian Blood – Effective journey through a long sound labyrinth hitting different musical and vocal styles along the way. Great track.
2. (5:38) *Struggling Attacker – Slow beginning followed by intense wild parts. It will make The Flaming Lips proud.
3. (6:52) **Ghost Song – FCC (fuck). Long effervescent intro with whispery androgynous vocals then it builds into a killer 1970’s inspired psych-prog rock track.
4. (10:20) *Wayward Snout – Folky track where progressive rock meets new age music. Daring.
5. (1:14) Diary of Mumbler – Found sounds, field recordings, memory music.
6. (4:14) Friends – Slow tune. Interesting lyrics.
|1.||Appalachian Blood||4.||Wayward Snout|
|2.||Struggling Attacker||5.||Diary Of Mumbler|