|Alabama Shakes / Sound & Color|
|Add Date:||2015-05-08|| ||Pull Date:||2015-07-10|| |
|Week Ending:||12 Jul||5 Jul||21 Jun||14 Jun||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May|
This is the second record from Alabama Shakes, out of Athens, Alabama. I was blown away. I really liked the old record, but this is another beast. Much more raw and stripped down than the last record, and that voice. Brittany Howard's voice is out of this would. From start to finish she gave me chills, her delivery is crazy. Anyway, this record is great, play it soon and often. RIYL: Eli Paperboy Reed, D'Angelo|
Recommended Tracks: 2, 5, 9, 10, 12
1. (3:03) Sound & Color - Think of this as an intro, not much to it, but it is still cool to listen to, cool strings, and a primer of that powerhouse voice.
2. (3:53) Don't Wanna Fight - This song blew me away, her voice is nothing short of amazing, the instrumentation is solid in its simplicity, great track.
3. (4:18) Dunes - A bit more of a mellow tempo, slight muffling on the the vocals, bluesy and vintage, awesome guitar hook.
4. (3:22) Future People - Uptempo, another awesome guitar melody, and some more of those super human notes.
5. (4:03) Gimme All Your Love - Down tempo and bluesy, with some great heavier instrumental highlights and a pleadingly urgent chorus that will give you chills.
6. (4:29) This Feeling - Acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies, and simple percussion. Simple, sweet, awesome.
7. (3:16) Guess Who - More of a funk feel, mid tempo groove.
8. (3:50) The Greatest - Fuzzier rock'n'roll.
9. (2:59) Shoegaze - Mid tempo, southern bluesy feel. Another one of my favorites. Easy going, great melody, warm instrumentation.
10. (3:47) Miss You - 3/4 time, steel brushes on the drums, a love ballad, and it is fucking great.
11. (6:36) Gemini - This could almost be a D'angelo song...
12. (3:53) Over My Head - Another one that is super minimal instrumentally. Super cool harmonies, handclaps, and one last taste of that voice. Great close.