|La Luz / Weirdo Shrine|
|Add Date:||2015-08-07||Pull Date:||2015-10-09|
|Week Ending:||11 Oct||4 Oct||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep||30 Aug||23 Aug|
|1.||Nov 25, 2020:||Some Songs Without Words |
Sleep Till They Die
|4.||Feb 19, 2019:||Magnetized Toner |
|2.||Sep 24, 2020:||Magnetized Toner |
True Love Knows
|5.||Aug 17, 2017:||Stoner - Fuzz |
|3.||Jan 14, 2020:||Magnetized Toner: Favorite Songs of the Decade [2010 - 2019] Conclusion |
I Wanna Be Alone (With You)
|6.||Aug 05, 2017:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
Don't Wanna Be Anywhere
Seattle’s La Luz’s sophomore album, Weirdo Shrine, delivers another set of outstanding and lingering “surf noir” tracks where their sound has gotten rawer and excitingly comfortable. Guitarist and vocalist Shana Cleveland’s guitar work takes front stage and hits you like an offshore wind. This is a true surf album and was even recorded at a surf shop in San Dimas, California by no other than Ty Segall. Despite the potential of seeing the band get louder and noisier, Segall works with La Luz to build a memorable recording using all of La Luz’s exquisite trademarks: haunting melodies, great vocal and chorus exchanges, impressive instrumentation and lots of guitar solos. Enthusiastically arresting. |
RIYL: The Surfaris, Peach Kelli Pop, The Honeys, The Shangri-Las, and, The 184.108.40.206's.
Recommended Tracks: All! Otherwise 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 11.
1. (3:20) *Sleep Till They Die – Sunset on the horizon. Soft melody, jangly guitars and a nice rhythmic build up. Tender piece.
2. (3:23) **You Disappear – Surf’s up! Gracious melody and killer guitar parts. Play it!
3. (2:18) *With Davey – Upbeat stomper with likeable chorus and an impressive guitar solo. Big Big Blood part II.
4. (3:00) *Don't Wanna Be Anywhere – Captivating track constructed with all the classic La Luz trademarks. Yeah!
5. (3:03) **I Can't Speak – Slow tune soaked in early 1960’s girl band influences. Beautiful chorus. Press play!
6. (1:47) *Hey Papi – great raw live feeling instrumental with cool guitars. One of my favorites.
7. (2:16) **I Wanna Be Alone (With You) – Simply remarkable. Light from another galaxy inspired this one. My favorite track in the album.
8. (3:29) *I'll Be True – A burlesque rhythm, saturated with clever guitar moments. Stays with you.
9. (3:04) Black Hole, Weirdo Shrine – Echoes of It’s Alive here. Nice and Dynamic.
10. (2:11) Oranges – Another charming instrumental here.
11. (3:36) **True Love Knows – Amazing ending. Slow paced,1960’s-inspired California pop. Wow!
|1.||Sleep Till They Die||6.||Hey Papi|
|2.||You Disappear||7.||I Wanna Be Alone (With You)|
|3.||With Davey||8.||I'll Be True|
|4.||Don't Wanna Be Anywhere||9.||Black Hole, Weirdo Shrine|
|5.||I Can't Speak||10.||Oranges|
|11.||True Love Knows|