|Skonberg, Bria / Into Your Own|
|Album:||Into Your Own||Collection:||Jazz|
|Add Date:||2015-08-21||Pull Date:||2015-10-23||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||25 Oct||18 Oct||11 Oct||4 Oct||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep|
|1.||Aug 07, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Sep 19, 2015) |
Winin' The Blues
|4.||Oct 20, 2015:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood |
All My Life
|2.||Jul 10, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Aug 22, 2015) |
Break My Fall
|5.||Oct 16, 2015:||Rebop |
Winin' The Blues
|3.||Mar 29, 2016:||It's Bollywood |
Go Tell It
|6.||Oct 08, 2015:||Melange |
Come Into Your Own
Bria Skonberg is originally from Chillawack,Canada, but now lives in NYC. She is a talented trumpet player and singer, who brilliantly bridges the gap between traditional and emerging jazz standards. What an aptly titled album “Into Your Own,” - she has come into her own in this second album of hers. In this album you travel through 100 years of musical influences starting with Satchmo to Anita O’Day to John Lennon and everyone else that appears to have influenced her.|
All the songs in this album are written by her.
I got an opportunity to watch Skonberg at the 2015 San Jose Jazz Festival. She has a warm, infectious & engaging
stage presence and certainly knows how to hold the attention of her audience.
Play any track
1. A warm start to a delightful song.Vocals & trumpet by Skonberg
2. A trumpet & vocal track. Is she paying homage to the jazz greats like Satchmo, Duke & others?
3. Little Girl is a slow & thoughtful song dedicated to little girls & asking them to hang on to their dreams & plans.
4. Starts slow & picks up pace. Lovely track.
5. Slow & modern sounding track,
6. This song captures Skonberg’s influences: there is a bit of Satcho, Anita O Day & maybe a lil of Peggy Lee?
7. Skonberg’s interpretation of John Lennon’s Julia. There is a poignant tinge to this love song. Slow.
8. A delightful ballad - should I call it that? Reminds you of Norah Jones a bit.
9. Skonberg changes gears completely & takes you to New Orleans in this track by Jelly Roll Morton. She captures that old world feeling by using distorting the vocals & it works. Play this for this track highlights Skonberg’s talent as trumpeter
10. Bright piano sounds open this modern sounding song. While listening to the lyrics I was reminded of Lionel Richie. Don’t ask me to explain please.
11. Love the vocals & the almost choir like way the song starts off - the harmony I guess reminded me of a choir. 1
12. Gospel inspired track. Reminds you of “Go Tell It To The Mountains.” Fast & infectious tune. Listen to the words.
Kamla August 2015
|1.||Come Into Your Own||7.||Julia|
|2.||Three Little Words/Sir Duke||8.||Six More Weeks|
|3.||Little Girl||9.||Winin' The Blues|
|4.||Share The Wealth||10.||All My Life|
|5.||Break My Fall||11.||Why Do You Do?|
|6.||Let's Go All In||12.||Go Tell It|