|Artist:||Ridenhour, Dalton||Added:||Aug 2015|
|Add Date:||2015-08-28||Pull Date:||2015-10-30||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||Nov 1||Oct 25||Oct 18||Oct 4||Sep 27||Sep 20||Sep 13||Sep 6|
|1.||Mar 07, 2022:||Melange (rebroadcast from Oct 1, 2015)
|4.||Apr 25, 2017:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood
If I Could Be With You, The Entertainmer, Palm Leaf Rag
|2.||Aug 16, 2021:||Melange (rebroadcast from Oct 1, 2015)
|5.||Jun 28, 2016:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood
|3.||Aug 07, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Sep 19, 2015)
|6.||Apr 05, 2016:||It's Bollywood, It's Hollywood
The Crave, The Entertainmer
Ragtime, stride and blues is the theme of this wonderful CD by Dalton Ridenhour, who accompanies Bria Skonberg on some of her performances. This album captures Ridenhour’s mastery, flair and love of playing the piano. If you like “hot music” which is how jazz was described in the early years then this collection is for you.
I saw Ridenhour perform live with Skonberg at San Jose Jazz Sumemerfest 2015 & it was a treat to listen to him play.
All pieces sparkle & are full of joy & verve.
1. Scott Joplin’s Palm Leaf Rag - delightful tune.
2. The wonderfully syncopated Charleston Rag by Eubie Blake.
3. I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter is a popular 1930s song & part part of Ain’t Misbehaving. Fats Waller sang it, as did others.
4. Scott Joplin’s Maple Leaf Rag. Fast & delightful syncopated tune.
5. Wonderful track -Crying for Carolines takes you back to the 1930s.
6. PK Blues is Ridenhour’s composition. Delightful. You clearly hear the “ragtime” influence clearly in this trak.
7. Ridehour’s spin on James P. Johnson’s “Eccentricity.” Takes you back to asimpler time.
8. James P. Johnson’s “Harlem Strut,” highlights stride piano that was born in Harlem in the 1920s. This fantastic piece transports you to a long, lost era.
9. Topliner Rag is Joseph Lamb’s wonderful track that comes alive when Ridenhour plays it. Lamb was part of the famous trio of Scott Joplin & James Scott.
10. Mr. Freddie Blue is a Boogie Woogie style track sung by Priscilla Stewart & J.H, Shayne. You travel back in time when you listen to this track.
11. Scott Joplin’s “The Entertainer,” which you instinctively recognize & don’t need to say anything.The title says it all about this famous “ragtime” tune.
12. James P. Johnson’s track that reminds you of Model T cars, jazz clubs & gentler times.Traveling 40-45 mph was probably considered fast then.
13. Mara Kaye on vocals is full of vim & vigor.
14. Jelly Roll Morton’s “The Crave,” is also known as “Spanish Tinge.” Reminds you of tango music & that is because of the habanera rhythm in this delightful track.
15. Ridenhour switches gear completely when he pays tribute to Roberto Clemente, the baseball player. Ridenour is paying homage to the player & his rural Missouri roots in this track. Tinge of pastoral element.
Kamla Aug 2015
|1.||Palm Leaf Rag||8.||Harlem Strut|
|2.||Charleston Rag||9.||Topliner Rag|
|3.||I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter||10.||Mr. Freddie Blues|
|4.||Maple Leaf Rag||11.||The Entertainmer|
|5.||Crying For The Carolines||12.||If I Could Be With You|
|6.||Pk Blues||13.||32-20 Blues|