|Wand / 1000 Days|
|Add Date:||2015-12-20||Pull Date:||2016-02-21|
|Week Ending:||21 Feb||7 Feb||24 Jan||17 Jan||10 Jan||3 Jan||27 Dec|
|1.||Oct 30, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Dec 26, 2015) |
|4.||Feb 04, 2016:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [W16D] |
|2.||Feb 19, 2016:||Moonlight Impressions |
|5.||Jan 17, 2016:||Breakaway Bluff |
|3.||Feb 14, 2016:||Breakaway Bluff Sending Love |
|6.||Jan 14, 2016:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [W16A] |
1000 Days is the third official full-length recording by Wand and their second album released this year. The Los Angeles-based psych pop band continues their exploration of psychedelic rock mythologies surveying sounds, melodies, and guitar effects that bounce back and forth from fuzzy early 1970’s guitar rock to Sub Pop Record’s late 1980’s pre-grunge recordings. The difference between 1000 Days and the previous two records is the sudden interest in accessible melodies and synthesizer sounds. The loud and sludgy rhythmic constructions are now surrounded by appealing vocal melodies and cool, kraut rock inspired synth parts. Much of the inspiration seemed to have come from underground alternative music from the mid 1990’s. Rollerskate Skinny forever.|
RIYL: Meatbodies, True Widow, Rollerskate Skinny, Pond, and Teenage Fanclub.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12
1. (3:33) *Grave Robber – Amusing upbeat synth generated track that turns into a massive guitar driven piece by the end. Early prog rock influenced.
2. (2:44) Broken Sun – Dramatic 1970’s fuzzy guitar-inspired rock composition. Appealing.
3. (1:46) Paintings are Dead – Pagan rock meets Jethro Tull folk rock tendencies.
4. (2:14) *Dungeon Dropper– 1990’s grunge guitars, midtempo beat with cool vocals. Stoner rock here.
5. (4:06) **Dovetail – Synths, continuous tribal beat, and organic sounds. Impressive.
6. (2:43) 1000 Days – Inspired acoustic tune. Late 1960’s LA folk rock vibe.
7. (3:39) **Lower Order – Lost Nirvana B-side? Riot Grrrl vocals? You can’t get more 1990’s than this!
8. (2:37) **Sleepy Dog – Another early 1990’s inspired gem. The “alternative” single that never happened. Teenage Fanclub meets Rollerskate Skinny.
9. (2:52) **Stolen Footsteps – Post-punk stunner here. Synth driven composition with cool calm melody. Totally Ultravox.
10. (3:39) *Passage Of The Dream – Shoegazer track with lots of space for pop and melodic experimentation. Catchy.
11. (0:37) Little Dream – Short, fast and fuzzy composition. The epilogue of the previous song.
12. (2:35) *Morning Rainbow – Another acoustic trippy tune. Solid ending.
|1.||Grave Robber||7.||Lower Order|
|2.||Broken Sun||8.||Sleepy Dog|
|3.||Paintings Are Dead||9.||Stolen Footsteps|
|4.||Dungeon Dropper||10.||Passage Of The Dream|
|6.||1000 Days||12.||Morning Rainbow|