|Paper Kites, The / Twelvefour|
|Artist:||Paper Kites, The||Added:||10/2015|
|Add Date:||2015-11-01||Pull Date:||2016-01-03|
|Week Ending:||3 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec||13 Dec||6 Dec||29 Nov||22 Nov||15 Nov|
|1.||Sep 10, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Jan 20, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|2.||Aug 14, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Dec 09, 2016:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Sep 15, 2019:||Audio Ambrosia |
|6.||Jan 08, 2016:||Time Traveler (Top 34 of 2015) |
“Twelvefour” The Paper Kites|
Concept album from the five-piece indie folk-rock outfit, The Paper Kites, out of Melbourne, Australia. This is their second full-length album, to go with two previously released EPs. The twelvefour name reflects the fact that all the songs were written between midnight and 4 a.m. (Lead singer/songwriter Sam Bentley produced 30 demos in two straight months of working nightly only during the hours when artists are supposed to be at their creative peak!) In this album, the band moves away at times from its softer folk sound on States (2013) by incorporating more electric guitar into the tracks. The result is a fabulous 10-song set of rock and folk-rock tunes.
Recommended: 1, 4, 7, 2, 5, 9. No FCCs.
1. (3:44) Electric Indigo — Upbeat indie rock, with shimmering guitars and reverbed drums. Simple, soaring vocals. ****
2. (3:57) Renegade — Strumming guitar and lightly stepping rhythm. Almost jazzy feeling. Hypnotic, storytelling vocals. ***
3. (4:21) Bleed Confusion — Stately pace. Hushed, sometimes almost spoken vocals over repeated piano. Exquisite, fragile harmonies by Christina Lacy. Simple guitar work.
4. (4:24) Revelator Eyes — Jangly and melodic. Energetic, up-tempo rhythm made by drum machine and a real drum kit. Glistening guitar. Bentley’s and Lacy’s harmonized vocals sound like they’re from a 1980s Tom Cruise movie. ****
5. (4:26) Neon Crimson — Fingerpicked electric guitar. Rich, harmonized vocals create a lush landscape of sound. **
6. (3:35) I’m Lying to You Cause I’m Lost — Folk-rock, with just a hint of a twang to it. Catchy melody.
7. (4:26) A Silent Cause — Peaceful. Acoustic tune with lovely fingerpicked guitar. A touch of harmonies. Reminiscent of early Simon and Garfunkel. ***
8. (4:48) Woke Up from a Dream — Bouncy folk-rock tune with garage-y electric guitar. Maybe a little like Ryan Adams?
9. (3:55) Turns Within Me, Turns Without Me — Wistful and melodic, featuring the guitar work of Dave Powys. Twinkling synths and Bentley’s from-the-heart vocals add just the right touches. **
10. (6:14) Too Late — Sprawling, six-minute closer. Pensive vocals. Simple backbeat. Slow burn…builds to something bigger, then finishes quietly.
|1.||Electric Indigo||6.||I'm Lying To You Cause I'm Lost|
|2.||Renegade||7.||A Silent Cause|
|3.||Bleed Confusion||8.||Woke Up From A Dream|
|4.||Revelator Eyes||9.||Turns Within Me, Turns Without Me|
|5.||Neon Crimson||10.||Too Late|