|Mbongwana Star / From Kinshasa|
|Add Date:||2015-12-06||Pull Date:||2016-02-07||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||7 Feb||31 Jan||24 Jan||17 Jan||10 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec||13 Dec|
|1.||Oct 14, 2016:||The Intercept |
|4.||Feb 06, 2016:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
|2.||Apr 18, 2016:||Lullabies #2 |
|5.||Feb 05, 2016:||A Visit From Drum |
|3.||Feb 06, 2016:||Music Casserole |
|6.||Feb 05, 2016:||Emergency Crew 063620 fri 2-5-16 jazz |
1 Million C’Est Quoi?, From Kinshasa To The Moon
Reviewed by BravoMarco
A collaboration of sounds & styles from Mbongwana Star. Formed in the Democratic Republic of Conga by two ex members of Staff Benda Bilili, they have created a tense, hypnotic sound that has it’s roots more in dark electronica, (with industrial punkiness elements thrown in) than the rumba, happy folk tracks they were once more famous for. This is altogether deeper, still has plenty of funk on offer & with that special blend of dub & trance influences, all combining for a truly exceptional sound.
All good: Loving 3,8
Similar: The Idan Raichel Project (for it’s uniqueness, vibrancy & feel) On U Sound-esque, Congolese instrumentation.
No FCC’s (No English lyrics)
1) From Kinshasa To The Moon (2.25) Spacey underbelly mixed in with the traditional., in this mid paced opener.
2) Shegue (5.17) Head nodder with that Talking Heads feel going on.
3) Nganshe (6.15) Infectious fast paced beat & speech.
4) Masobele (3.53) More rugged urban energy, mid paced. Acapella to finish.
5) Coco Blues (5.41) Slowing it right down, keeping it simple & true.
6) Malukayi Featuring Konoko No.1 (6.02) Upbeat percussion leading into a spacey repetitive sound. Full of vocal effects & cowbells…
7) Suzanna (4.34) Hard pulse under a poppier style of track.
8) Kimpala (4.30) Slow paced lush-dreaminess. Psych elements that shine so bright.
9) Kala (4.06) All over the place this one. Blips & mad synth play, vie with the brooding beat.
10) 1 Million C’est Quoi! (5.05) A more traditional flavour. Mid paced driving beat with hard working guitars.
|1.||From Kinshasa To The Moon||6.||Malukayi|
|5.||Coco Blues||10.||1 Million C?Est Quoi?|