|Squeeze / Singles|
|Label:||A & M Records|
|1.||Sat, 24 Aug 19:||Mr. Bones|
Hanging in the Bone Yard
|4.||Tue, 12 Jun 18:||Jon Cousins|
The School of Classic Rock
|2.||Sun, 02 Sep 18:||Trish McBee|
|5.||Mon, 06 Mar 17:||Shineymic|
Everything A to Z - Week 79
|3.||Sat, 30 Jun 18:||Mr. Bones|
Hangin in the bone yard
|6.||Thu, 02 Mar 17:||Jon Cousins|
The School of Classic Rock
Classic 80’s new wave brit band with a wacky variety of the wacky 80’s. Singles is a collection of some of the greatest songs released by Squeeze, with a few outliers. Love/heartbreak is a common theme.|
Related Artists: Elvis Costello, The Jam, Big Audio Dynamite, The The
Favorites: 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12
1. (2:48) ** Take Me I’m Yours – Synth heavy with sleuthy guitar riffs. Whacky. Little else throughout.
2. (3:05) ** Goodbye Girl – Less whacky with a bit more instrumentation, simple vocals.
3. (3:11) **** Cool For Cats – Whacky of course but pulls it off, and well. The guitar sounds like a cat meowing for attention. Silly lyrics with little meaning and a trippy drum/piano/guitar solo.
4. (3:08) ***** Up The Junction – A Squeeze classic, in the form of a ballad. Catchy vocals and smooth beat with faded guitar and accompanying piano. Life squeezed into a 3 minute song. See what I did there?
5. (4:16) ** Slap And Tickle – More whacky synth, does not pull it off really. Vocals are ok.
6. (2:55) ***** Another Nail In My Heart – Painful lyrics with an oddly upbeat and happy instrumentation. Quality guitar solo with great synth.
7. (3:57) **** Pulling Mussels (From The Shell) – Nicely structured and upbeat song, with chorus being the quiet part. Love it when they pull out the stops. Decent guitar solo accompanied by classic piano solo.
8. (4:10) *** If I Didn’t Love You – Slower and more chill than their others, but happy sounding nonetheless. I might hear a wind instrument in there occasionally? A bit of a country tang in the guitar solo.
9. (2:31) ***** Is That Love – More heartbreak, with an upbeat but stressful instrumentation. Could be crescendo of crude craziness corresponding to lyrics. C what I did there?
10. (3:58) ***** Tempted – Slower beat with smooth synth and occasional guitar picking. Iconic vocals. I don’t think he means food fruit.
11. (6:11) **** Black Coffee In Bed – Happiness in all of the instruments, including synth, guitar, drums, and groovy bass. But still so sad, such heartbreak.
12. (3:22) ***** Annie Get Your Gun – Groovy intro with a lot of strumming proceeding. Upbeat and happy, with happy lyrics too. A Squeeze classic.
|1.||Take Me I'm Yours||7.||Pulling Muscles (From The Shell)|
|2.||Goodbye Girl||8.||If I Didn't Love You|
|3.||Cool For Cats||9.||Is That Love|
|4.||Up The Junction||10.||Tempted|
|5.||Slap And Tickle||11.||Black Coffee In Bed|
|6.||Another Nail For My Heart||12.||Annie Get Your Gun|