|Artist:||Vassalotti, David||Added:||Jan 2016|
|Label:||Wharf Cat Records|
|Add Date:||2016-02-28||Pull Date:||2016-05-01|
|Week Ending:||Apr 24||Apr 17||Apr 10||Apr 3||Mar 27||Mar 20||Mar 13||Mar 6|
|1.||Apr 17, 2016:||What's Not to Love?
Ines De Castro
|4.||Apr 06, 2016:||Home on the Range
Lady Day Redux
|2.||Apr 13, 2016:||Brownian Motion
|5.||Apr 02, 2016:||Narnia
Drawn And Quartered
|3.||Apr 12, 2016:||Life Aquatic
Ines De Castro
|6.||Mar 23, 2016:||Brownian Motion
Sounds like a phenomenal combination of Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra, GY!BE, Cass McCombs, Girls, and Deerhunter. No FCCs. Favorite tracks: 3, 4, 8, 9.
1. (2:43) The Trouble With Being Born — Atmospheric, outer space, new wave track. No vocals.
2. (2:37) Lady Day Redux — Uptempo. Acoustic guitars and folk sensibilities. Sounds a lot like Cass McCombs.
3. (5:16) **Drawn and Quartered — Ominous, tight grip. Post-punk. Darkly cascading guitars and basslines. This is so Swans.
4. (5:02) ***Ines de Castro — Lilting, warped guitars and a shuffling beat. Folk song about a girl. Sounds like Gene Clark + guitar effects.
5. (1:55) Sarah Sings — Simple fingerpicking melody. Some faint whimpers occasionally. Reminds me of Alex G.
6. (2:41) The Dogs — Heavy, consistent drumming. Eerie wails. Helicopter sounds and drone in the last 30 seconds.
7. (2:44) The Zahir — Middle Eastern-sounding instrumental patterns. Urgent, frenetic vocals at times. Fluid. I saw this duo called Xylouris White open for Godspeed and this song strangely reminds me of the interplay between the two groups’ sounds.
8. (5:41) ***Maly Kitezh — Languid fingerpicked guitar and some reverb. Also reveals Middle Eastern qualities. Crashing harsh noise at 2:05, then an unexpected drop followed by some faint wails and apocalyptic liturgical music.
9. (8:15) *Bolshoy Kitezh — Godspeed-esque two-minute intro. Then thudding percussion and buzzing, glitchy sounds. Spacey vocals. Becomes softer and celestial in the last two minutes.
10. (6:12) Broken Rope — Upbeat pop song a la Halcyon Digest-era Deerhunter. Sounds a bit like Real Estate with the guitars. Sweet electric guitar fills starting at 3:55. Last 15 seconds are nearly silent.
|1.||The Trouble With Being Born||6.||The Dogs|
|2.||Lady Day Redux||7.||The Zahir|
|3.||Drawn And Quartered||8.||Maly Kitezh|
|4.||Ines De Castro||9.||Bolshoy Kitezh|
|5.||Sarah Sings||10.||Broken Rope|