|Artist:||Tosca, Axel||Added:||Apr 2016|
|Add Date:||2016-04-25||Pull Date:||2016-06-26||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||May 22||May 8|
|1.||May 21, 2016:||Celtic By Caronis
|3.||May 04, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants!
|2.||May 21, 2016:||Music Casserole
This album is a mixture of Latin American, African, Asian and American funk rhythms. There is a lot of repetitive motives and it is just not as musically exciting as other international jazz albums I’ve heard. There is a simplicity that, for me, when layered does not pan out into something with more compositional meat on the bone. The music doesn’t linger. Still, it’s pleasant enough.
Additional performers: Luques Curtis (bass); Xiomara Laugart (voice); Felipe Fournier (vibraphone); Keyon Harrold (trumpet); Dana Hawkins and Skoota Warner (drums); Max Cudworth (alto sax); Michael Valeanu (guitar); Tamer Pinarbasi (Turkish string Qanun or Kanun - think lap harp); Melanie Charles, Natalie Guillaume, Xiomara Laugart (voice).
Special guests on the album include: Jeff “Tain” Watts (drums); James Genus (bass); Luisito Quintero (percussion); Ron Blake (saxophone/flute).
– FCC Compliant: YES
– Recommended Tracks: 2
– Track Reviews: All Tracks go QUIET 5 seconds early (except Track 3).
1. (5:36) Accent - noisy start, then goes all over the place, drifting from calm to chaotic
2. (3:34) Siboney - lively rearrangement of this classic Cuban song, written 1929 by Ernesto Lecuona, about love and yearning; vocals in Spanish by Xiomara Laugart (Axel’s mother - a famous Cuban singer); horns stomp on vocals, but has some interesting ideas
3. (5:41) One for Grew - bongo drums open, lots of bass action, closes with fast percussion; NO SOUND after 5:30
4. (2:33) Hologram - laid-back harmonizing voices with percussion and vibraphone underneath
5. (5:29) Fulani in Love - medium-fast, nice percussion, bass and keyboards, fairly entertaining but repetitive
6. (4:50) Estrella - comfortable by-the-beach feel; romantic, cool breezes
7. (5:42) Afri Asia - timba-influenced percussion (timbales are shallow single-headed drums with metal casing), more repetitive keyboards, bass, wandering trumpet and sax
8. (3:39) Vibe - more beach lushness, simple melody lines
9. (4:43) 3rio - smooth-sounding showcase for piano
|1.||Accent||5.||Fulani In Love|
|3.||One For Grew||7.||Afri Asia|