|Tuft / Look Look|
|Add Date:||2016-08-01||Pull Date:||2016-10-03|
|Week Ending:||2 Oct||18 Sep||11 Sep||21 Aug||14 Aug||7 Aug|
|1.||May 04, 2022:||The Best of Everything (rebroadcast from Sep 20, 2021) |
|4.||Sep 12, 2016:||Everything A to Z week 58 radio q edit aired 2021-09-20 1200 14000 |
Look Look, What I Am Doing
|2.||Sep 20, 2021:||The Best of Everything |
|5.||Sep 09, 2016:||The Pocket |
What I Am Doing
|3.||Oct 01, 2016:||Music Casserole |
|6.||Aug 19, 2016:||The Pocket |
Artist: TUFT |
Album: Look Look
This is the debut album of TUFT (previously Hi Ho Silver Oh), a new group from LA. Casey Trela dominates most of the album with strong, distinct vocals somewhat reminiscent of Ezra Koenig (Vampire Weekend) and Adam Granduciel (War on Drugs) often backed by choral arrangements. At its high points the album is very good with compelling textures and powerful melodies, but the album overall is a bit repetitive – much of the album has a very similar driving groove laid down by loud, splashy drums and rhythm guitar.
RIYL: Vampire Weekend, HAIM, Dr. Dog, tUnE-yArDs, War On Drugs
Recommended Tracks: 3, 4, 5, 10
1. (3:35) Constant – FCC (fuck) – Strong male vocals backed by airy choral arrangment. Breaks into angry guitar driven groove which evolves as synths and strings are layered in.
2. (2:25) What I am Doing – Very Vampire Weekend sounding. Backed by loose female driven choral arrangement and brassy horns (trumpet and trombone heavy).
3. (3:05) Sheep* - Reflective. Piercing but smooth vocals with whispy female backing over simple but strong guitar driven groove
4. (4:55) Stills* - Dreamy. Soaring lyrics with soft, muddled vocal backing over the same sort of driving bass and drums as the rest of the album with interesting ambient guitar textures followed by some dissonant noodling.
5. (6:24) Look Look*** - Subdued and melancholy. Slower and softer with gentle guitar. Soothing lyrics. Slowly builds throughout with cool guitar and string melodies in the background.
6. (3:50) Spools – Begins restrained with a minimal beat. Drums are much crisper. Builds throughout with instrumentation continually increasing and layering.
7. (1:59) No Wonders – Bit of a different feel with some twang to it. Happier. Similar driving drums and guitar.
8. (3:46) Lanyards – Starts out with a cool unison line, but then sinks into a contemplative groove similar to the rest of the album.
9. (4:53) VCVC – Slow and soft with strong male and female vocals. Around 3 minutes in quickly builds into a cool guitar driven shuffle but then backs off.
10. (4:52)*** Nothing – Starts out soft but then builds into a powerful, swelling crescendo which gives way to a dreamy, pulsing vamp that closes out the album.
|2.||What I Am Doing||7.||No Wonders|