|Lorelle Meets The Obsolete / Balance|
|Artist:||Lorelle Meets The Obsolete||Added:||Oct 2016|
|Add Date:||2016-11-23||Pull Date:||2017-01-22|
|Week Ending:||Jan 22||Jan 15||Jan 8||Jan 1||Dec 25||Dec 18||Dec 11||Dec 4|
|1.||Jan 28, 2023:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|4.||Mar 07, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
|2.||Dec 06, 2018:||deep storage |
The Sound Of All Things
|5.||Jan 24, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
The Sound Of All Things
|3.||Mar 22, 2017:||Reckless Burning (Swim into the Sun) |
|6.||Jan 19, 2017:||a strange pursuit |
Waves Over Shadows
Balance is the enthralling fourth album by Guadalajara, Mexico’s Lorelle Meets the Obsolete. The psych rock duo has slowed down the tempo, contained the frenzy of previous sonic exercises, and found a wise use of synth/guitar generated ambient sounds. The album features beautifully crafted, ethereal compositions wrapped around long guitar solos, creative rhythmic changes, synth riffs, and longing vocal parts. One of my favorites of the year. |
RIYL: The Warlocks, The Stargazer Lilies, Los Kowalski, Spaceman 3, and LSD and the Search for God.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9
1. (4:31) ***Balance – Medium tempo. Psychedelic guitar rock riff, soft vocals, layers of synths. Half way through song, intense guitar distortion. Beautiful tension. One of my two favorite tracks on the record.
2. (5:20) *It Must Be The Only Way – Medium tempo. Continuous guitar riff, effortless vocals, layers of synths. Pedal effects are added to the riff after the first minute of the song to create a thicker ambiance. There’s another partially hidden synth part that appears half way through the song. Classic Lorelle.
3. (4:34) Ching – Slow/medium tempo. Two-notes synth part working as a rhythmic element. Guitars covered in distortion from start to end. Whispery vocals. Dramatic.
4. (6:22) ***The Sound of All Things – Ambient synths and found nature sounds build up until we get a beat by minute 2:37 - Medium-up tempo. Singing starts at minute 3:39. Distorted guitar solo at 4:09 hidden in the mix. Track slows down by minute 5:43. Mesmerizing trip.
5. (3:54) ***Waves Over Shadows – Medium tempo. Hypnotic synth riff, complementary effortless vocals, killer guitars, and more exquisite synth parts. My other favorite track on the album.
6. (4:42) **La Distinción – Medium tempo. Build around inspired guitar riffs and solos, whispery vocals, more exquisite synth parts, and a melody that sounds like the early days of psychedelic rock. Stunning.
7. (4:49) Father's Tears – Found sounds, semi-acoustic guitars, and soft vocals. Some synths as ambient enhancers. Slowest track on the album.
8. (3:04) Waves Under Shadows – Instrumental track. Medium tempo. Synth everywhere. By minute 1:15, distorted guitar solo jumps in. Everything fades away by minute 1:55 but some ambient synth sounds.
9. (5:26) *Eco Echo – Medium tempo. Psych rock guitars, enthralling distorted vocals, more guitars, and an atmosphere that is pure ambient rock. Great ending.
|1.||Balance||5.||Waves Over Shadows|
|2.||It Must Be The Only Way||6.||La Distinción|
|4.||The Sound Of All Things||8.||Waves Under Shadows|