|Minas, Kermany & Merjanian, Garabet / When I See You: From The November 1917 Recordings, Nyc|
|Album:||When I See You: From The November 1917 Recordings, Nyc||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Minas, Kermany & Merjanian, Garabet||Added:||10/2016|
|Add Date:||2016-11-09||Pull Date:||2017-01-11||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||8 Jan||18 Dec||11 Dec||27 Nov||20 Nov|
|1.||Tue, 03 Jan 17:||SOL·MAX·ION|
Clean Copper Radio
|4.||Tue, 06 Dec 16:||Dj Arid & DJ Bear|
|2.||Sat, 17 Dec 16:||Eme O|
|5.||Thu, 24 Nov 16:||M A R G Y|
|3.||Thu, 08 Dec 16:||M A R G Y|
|6.||Tue, 22 Nov 16:||Caronis|
Celtic By Caronis
Kermany Minas & Garabet Merjanian|
When I See you: From the November 1917 Recordings, NYC
Reviewed by BravoMarco
This is classic material from a bygone age where real emotion & joy played an integral part in the musical journey. Elegant rural folk music with so much passion. This transcends borders, influences range from the folk music of the Balkans & heading further into the then Ottoman Empire. Both musicians are Armenian, with very little else known about them outside of this important recording. Masterfully restored by Canary Records, this is a real gem. Use of violin, oud, kanun & clarinet, plus those liturgical-esque voices, taking you far away.
All fantastic, loving 9 the most though.
Similar: Roza Eskanazi….all the classic Rembetiko singers plus Turkish legend Zeki Muran in his early days, with a dash of Klezmer.
Doubtful there would be FCC’s (Turkish & Armenian? lyrics)
1) Nazarimda Yine Afak (The Horizon Again In My View) (3.25) Hypnotic voice with sparse musical accompaniment.
2) Ooshak Gazel (3.21) As above - gut wrenching sounds.
3) Sabah Gazel (3.24) Ever so slightly livelier.
4) Isvahan Sharki (Are You Always?) (3.26) More accessible, mid tempo jaunt.
5) Karshouda Kurd Everly (The Kurdish Homes Across The Way) (2.50) Faster, almost festive.
6) Develli Cantosou (Camel Driver) (3.21) As above – Catchy theme.
7) Bulbul Canto (Nightingale) (3.35) Happier sound with birdcall. Slow fade.
8) Seni Geodukje (When I See You) (3.23) Plenty of emotion on display.
9) Eghim Havasi (Melody Of Egin) (3.26) Gloriously slow paced.
10) Bulbul Oslam (If I Were A Nightingale) (3.24) Aspects of all the previous tracks.
11) Tchifte Telli Ghazel: Nenny (Lullaby improvisation) (4.29) More of a lament. Lovely.
12) Halima (4.22) Up beat & enjoyable.
13) Mavili Cantouso (Lady In Blue) (4.09) Something for everyone with this song.
14) Shekar Oghlan Cantousou (Sweet Boy) (3.55) Lively conclusion.