“The Pooches” The Pooches
The Pooches are an indie four-piece band from Glasgow, Scotland that plays Brit-pop with some punky trimmings. Originally a one-man project of frontman, guitarist and songwriter, Jimmy Hindle — who released two albums as the Pooches in 2013 and 2105 — the four-man group released its “Heart Attack” EP in early 2016, now followed by this self-titled, full-length album. The Pooches’ sound is similar to 1960s British invasion bands such as Herman’s Hermits, the Yardbirds, and the Dave Clark Five — or more recently, Teenage Fan Club or Belle & Sebastian. Songs are marked by jangly guitars, catchy melodies and warm vocals — with just an edge of punk to a few of the tracks.
Recommended: 1, 5, 8, 11, 9. FCC on Track 2.
1. (2:15) Heart Attack — Sunny, bouncy, slightly jangly pop-rock. Great hooks. Handclaps! Lyrics reference Heart Attack, a hardcore punk band from NYC that was popular from 1978-1984. ****
2. (2:11) I’ll Be Gone — Strumming guitar. Snapping snare. Harmonized chorus. Great song — but you can’t play this version on the radio. (See Track 11 radio edit.) FCC: “Shitty”
3. (2:58) Another Evening, Another Town — Up-tempo. Timekeeper plucking guitar in places, backed by ringing guitar. Slightly punky feel.
4. (0:37) Japan — Novelty. Definite punk. Chugging guitars. Very, very SHORT! ***
5. (2:51) The Light — (Slight delay at start for breath) Bright, ringing guitar. Nice backbeat. Simple melody. Easygoing vocals. ****
6. (2:22) New Years — Stop-and-go meter. A bit repetitive.
7. (1:11) I Don’t Eat Cake — Growling guitar at start — following by ringing guitar. Frantic, punky pace. Very short!
8. (3:38) Everything — Mid-tempo. Strumming guitars. Plucking lead guitar solos. Catchy melody and lyrics. ****
9. (2:25) Be Not So Fearful — Simple chord progressions. Lilting melody. Nice tune. ***
10. (3:00) Mulligan — Noisy start. Great bass line. Melody is a bit sing-song. Vocals are almost more spoken than sung. Understated.
11. (2:11) I’ll Be Gone (Radio Edit) — Track 2 with a radio-friendly edit…this is safe to play anytime. ***