|Album:||Why Do You Look Like Your Dog?||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Macula Dog||Added:||Nov 2016|
|Label:||Wharf Cat Records|
|Add Date:||2016-11-30||Pull Date:||2017-02-01|
|Week Ending:||Jan 29||Jan 22||Jan 8||Jan 1||Dec 18||Dec 11||Dec 4|
|1.||Apr 19, 2018:||Sound Landscapes
|4.||Jan 26, 2017:||a strange pursuit
|2.||Mar 08, 2018:||Sound Landscapes
|5.||Jan 24, 2017:||Magnetized Toner
|3.||Aug 31, 2017:||Brains and Eggs
|6.||Jan 24, 2017:||Wolfe Calls
The Dig Down
Overview: Squishy electronic textures collide with bleating MIDI horns, toy pianos, and obscured vocals. Think demented cartoon music or electronic goop. Many tracks are brief instrumental fragments. Use to add a bit of fun absurdity to your show.
Influences/similar bands: Devo (as if played underwater and under the influence), Barnes & Barnes (remember “Fish Heads”?), Yello (from their early days), Yonlu.
Tracks: Favorites (*) are 1, 3, 6, 17
* 1. The Dig Down (1:58): squishy electronic industrial-ish noise > vocals hard to interpret > decent beat > burbling ending.
2. Anvils of Love (1:48): air raid siren sounds > squishy vocals > drums and some cowbell > winds down and fades out.
** 3. Grayed Out (4:00): guitar noises start with left/right modulation > bells > driving beat > ray guns > flying bug noises > distorted lyrics (channeling DEVO here).
4. Why Do I Look Like My Dog? (0:51): fades in with electronic accordion/synth. > bells > squishy horns and strings > light guitar > no break to next track.
5. Dog Food I (0:28): video game sounds (you lose!) > not much beat to follow > no break to next track.
** 6. Lawnmower (2:09): Philip Glass-type repetitiveness / strings > moves to some sort of vocal exchange, high pitch vs. low pitch voices > halting beat, but it’s there > eastern music vibe > ends as it began.
7. Work Friend (2:54): warped synth vocals > strings of a sort > slower beat > aliens… I hear tired aliens tying to contact us > old copy machine sorting tray sounds > ends abruptly.
8. Droppings and Grapefruit (0:25): video game start > some elect. drums > ends abruptly.
9. Looking for a Body on the Weekend (2:18): starts with demented vocals > goes to strings > slow deep vocal stylings > slow, slow tempo > aliens again > strings still going> horns come in and the voice returns > backwards vocals > fades out quickly.
10. New Boys Club (2:17): drum and cymbal intro > kazoo like noise comes in > slightly stronger beat > vocal back and forth > halting rhythm > kazoo and whoopee cushion battling electronic drums > battling vocals again > halting vocals > distorted strings > beat comes back > no break to next track.
11. Dog Food II (0:20): frog croaking and high pitch insects > no break to next track.
12. Smokestack (3:03): sand falling on a balloon > squishy elec. drums > emotionless vocals come in > some toy piano > duet of vocals > goes to frog/swamp landscape with insects > horns > vocals > fades out.
13. Dog Food III (1:03): fades in keyboard and pudding-slap beat (blurp-blurp-blurp) > some mouth piano sounds > fades out.
! 14. Tone Pig (4:11): FCCs 0:14 (maybe a “fuck” – hard to hear) 2:54-3:00 (shit, fucking) video game vocals > insane popcorn popper, horns and vocals > serious discord > talking vocals > no beat, no singing > sound scape of a kid playing on a keyboard > breathy whisper sounds > other mouth sounds > abrupt move to industrial noise > ends.
15. Dog Food IV (0:29): video game sounds with vocal sounds, no words > driving pace > abrupt end.
16. Backdrop Person (Waiting for a Call) (2:31): drums, repetitive vocal sound, distorted guitar > outer space noises, strings, electricity > toy piano comes in with drums > beat increases > tension rises > satellite noises > distorted vocals > goes to toy piano, drum, driving beat > ends abruptly.
* 17. Iron Or Iron Or (2:42): high electronic horn/keyboard noises, decent beat > toy piano > vocals, sort of singing, mantra-like > “kneeling at the stone” > like an odd ritualistic chant > organs > ends with vocals.
|1.||The Dig Down||9.||Looking For A Body On The Weekend|
|2.||Anvils Of Love||10.||New Boys Club|
|3.||Grayed Out||11.||Dog Food Ii|
|4.||Why Do You Look Like Your Dog?||12.||Smoke Stack|
|5.||Dog Food I||13.||Dog Food Iii|
|7.||Work Friend||15.||Dog Food Iv|
|8.||Droppings And Grapefruit||16.||Backdrop Person (Waiting For A Call)|
|17.||Iron Or Iron Or|