We Are The Halluci Nation is the devastatingly powerful third statement by Ontatio, Canada’s DJ collective A Tribe Called Red. Part of the Canadian Aboriginal rights movement called Idle No More, the trio fuses Hip-hop, moombahton and electronic music beats with traditional First Nations vocal chanting and drumming elements, building a unique sound that is complemented with guest vocals and historical and field recordings addressing issues of identity, social and political injustice; in particular, the struggle for land control. A visionary use of music and politics where the beat goes on and the rhetoric stays with you.
RIYL: Chippewa Travellers, Northern Voice, Tanya Tagaq, DJ Shub and Lido Pimienta.
1. (2:44) **We Are The Halluci Nation [Feat. John Trudell & Northern Voice] – Spoken word intro piece. Sets the mood of the album.
2. (3:30) R.E.D. [Feat. Yasiin Bey, Narcy & Black Bear] – FCC (Fuck). Hip-hop meets Pow wow. Epic.
3. (3:50) ***The Virus [Feat. Saul Williams & Black Bear] – More hip-hop meets Pow wow. Powerful track.
4. (1:50) Before [Feat. Joseph Boyden] – Devastating spoken word recording (Phone call from prision).
5. (3:08) **Sila [Feat. Tanya Tagaq] – Instrumental track – Hard electronic beats mixed with sounds of heavy breathing. Dense.
6. (4:12) ***The Light [Feat. Lido Pimienta] – Mellow piece. In Spanish. Almost trip-hop. Great vocals.
7. (4:14) **Maima Koopi [Feat. OKA & Chippewa Travellers] – Electronic instrumental recording. Exuberant. Part Persian pop, Part Pow wow.
8. (3:38) JHD [Feat. Junior Ottawa] – Electronic piece meets Pow wow.
9. (2:41) *Eanan [Feat. Maxida Marak] – Great exuberant electro pop tune. Reminds me of Grimes.
10. (4:37) The Muse [Feat. Jen Kreisberg] – Contemporary R&B mixed with electro pop and Pow wow sounds.
11. (3:37) *Indian City [Feat. Northern Voice] – Pow wow goes EBM. Intense.
12. (4:21) *How I Feel [Feat. Leonard Sumner, Shad & Northern Voice] – Pow wow meets Hip-hop. Solid political recording.
13. (3:43) For You (The Light, Pt. 2) [Feat. Lido Pimienta] – Contemporary R&B meets electro pop.
14. (2:04) **ALie Nation [Feat. John Trudell, Lido Pimienta, Tanya Tagaq & Northern Voice] – Spoken word, electronic beats and Pow wow sounds. Music for the masses.
15. (2:04) Soon [Feat. Joseph Boyden] – For ending, another earth-shattering spoken word recording.