|Distant Reader / Home Power|
|Artist:||Distant Reader||Added:||Apr 2017|
|Label:||Lily Tapes & Discs|
|Add Date:||2017-05-10||Pull Date:||2017-07-12|
|Week Ending:||Jul 9||Jun 18||Jun 11||Jun 4||May 28||May 21|
|1.||Jul 08, 2017:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|4.||Jun 06, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
Face Blindness And J
|2.||Jul 08, 2017:||Music Casserole |
|5.||May 30, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
Life Believed In Itself, Finally
|3.||Jun 14, 2017:||Reckless Burning |
|6.||May 27, 2017:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
Distant Reader is the bedroom slowcore project of KZSU’s own DJ Away (!). Recorded when he was 21, this is an homage to friends and loved ones with each “you” referring to many people. Takes inspiration from Jason Molina’s relationship with his audience, and strives “against chilly disdain in favor of time-deepened warmth and vulnerability.” Everything is very soft and slow, lots of fingerpicked guitar, often builds in more glowing guitar tones towards the end. What really sets this apart is the intriguing lyrics (some pasted below). Extremely soft recording quality so I’d recommend watching your levels.|
Related: Rivulets, Bedhead, Sun Kil Moon, Jason Molina
1. (7:02) *** Agreement—Mid-tempo, yearning folk. Soars towards the end. “The light here’s overpowering and I’m still trying to learn to breathe”
2. (4:56) Chairs—Slow, vulnerable. Vocals at the forefront.
3. (8:32) ** Life Believed in Itself, Finally—Contemplative folk, quietly optimistic. Great fingerpicked guitar break. Reminds me of Sun Kil Moon’s classical guitar work.
4. (6:45) *** Face Blindness and J—Ponderous guitar opening. Steadily builds in more distortion. Soft fade.
5. (8:13) ** Shell—Bassy resonant intro. Moody with ghostly reverb. “I know my old voice cracks through the phone. I take two years to write this song. I’m reaching back to you now.”
6. (5:37) *** With—Glowing, choral, transcendent. Reaches Ian William Craig heights. “To fire, fire. All is not. Love lift us.”
7. (6:16) *** First Try—Lonesome, fading folk with a trace of strength. Strong Sunbather feel to these lyrics. “A soft ochre light washed the town away today so we could build our half-made hopes in its haze”
|1.||Agreement||4.||Face Blindness And J|
|3.||Life Believed In Itself, Finally||6.||With|