A bluesy, poppy, somber EP with some western guitar flavor at points. Lyrics are somewhat predictable but fit the style, and you hardly notice because the real emotion lies in the singing here, not the actual words. Overall pretty easy to listen to, with instrumentation supporting the honestly impressive vocals from Meldau. The Swedish songwriter put out this EP in 2016 and signed to Astralwerks this year.
1) Let Me Go* (3:44): Some soulful crooning over organ chords. When the drums kick in it becomes an epic ballad – “if you love me, let me go”.
2) Lou Lou (2:07): Short track with a quiet piano introduction and big focus on the vocals.
3) Darling (2:57): Basic love ballad over a piano backdrop
4) Lovers** (3:15): Jazzy drums and smooth as silk vocals. Great engaging and soulful track – primo song for smoochin’
5) Bloodshot (Demo) (2:51): Somber vocals over acoustic guitar plucking – “I wonder, is there someone new next to you?”