Waxahatchee // Out In The Storm: Indie/Folk-rock album. Apparently an album about a breakup though you wouldn’t be able to tell immediately due to how jubilant and uplifting some tracks are. Vocals are clear and poignant, with confessional lyrics. A solid listen, hampered a bit by the slow acoustic tracks which don’t particularly stand out.
FCC CLEAN. Recommended: 1, 3, 6. RIYL: Angel Olsen, Allison Crutchfield, Courtney Barnett, Pity Sex
1. Never Been Wrong (3:12)** indie rock, soaring and hopeful chorus, bass-driven rhythm in verses.
2. 8 Ball (2:49) country rock, acoustic guitar.
3. Silver (3:24)** Upbeat, and uplifting guitars. “Oooh~”s in verses, guaranteed to bring up your mood.
4. Recite Remorse (4:38) Somber organ drone, pretty slow, picks up a little at the end.
5. Sparks Fly (3:06) Folk vibe shines here, simple and catchy chorus.
6. Brass Beam (2:42)* Blues-y rock intro, gives me a 90’s feel.
7. Hear You (3:01) Grunge feel in verses, poppier in chorus with more soaring guitars.
8. A Little More (2:32) Acoustic track, poetic lyrics and a melancholic delivery.
9. No Question (3:38) Loud rocknroll guitars, cool pedal effects. Fake ending starting at 2:08, song keeps on at 2:13.
10. Fade (3:47) Acoustic closer, slow, sad with a bit of piano.