MODERN JAZZ – Star saxophonist Potter leads a very fine quartet featuring elastic piano work by David Virelles, moody basslines from Joe Martin and catchy rhythmic patter from Marcus Gilmore on drums. It's a more straightforward set than his other recent releases, but this group has plenty to say and has a strong rapport.
Fo’s Picks: 2, 5, 6
1. 8:20 – moody ballad: grows slowly, solo piano break, picks up in 2nd half
2. 9:53 – soft intro, sneaky patter, then uptempo glide with geometric solos
3. 8:19 – bass clarinet leads a relaxed ramble: very open feel, long bass solo
4. 7:53 – ambient start; soprano sax leads as a slow exploration warms up
5. 10:08 – midtempo: drum patter, stretchy theme, strong sax, long piano solo
6. 5:35 – midtempo twisty melody: piano scrambles, sax jabs & wails