|Various Artists / Disquiet, Vol. 1|
|Album:||Disquiet, Vol. 1||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2017-09-08||Pull Date:||2017-11-10||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||24 Sep||17 Sep|
|1.||Thu, 21 Sep 17:||lionel hutz & dr. information|
|3.||Thu, 14 Sep 17:||lionel hutz & dr. information|
|2.||Tue, 19 Sep 17:||DJ Arid & Hankinstein|
|4.||Wed, 13 Sep 17:||Your Imaginary Friend|
The first in a series of charity comps stacked with banner ambient artists, organized by Keith Kenniff, who’s developed a sizable internet following for his recordings under the name Helios. Released in response to the 2016 election, these pieces aren’t overtly political, but they’re a useful reminder that centered calm and openness to beauty can be great sources of strength in trying times. No words (except for 4), no FCCs. Favorites: 2, 6, 7, 9.|
1. (6:04)—Windy drone with flitting, glimmering tones. Gets somewhat noisy.
2. *(3:59)—Multitracked, muted piano. A minimal, muted beat and pulsing synths enter in the second half.
3. (4:26)—Murky drone, crystalline synth peals.
4. (3:29)—Minimal dream pop. Faded and cut-up vocals, Enya-esque flourishes, hints of a beat.
5. *(9:49)—Intense, epic drone bathed in hiss and broken transmissions.
6. (5:24)—Watery, reverb-heavy guitar and keyboard.
7. *(4:05)—Granular church organ guitar, tranquil and a little frayed at the edges.
8. (5:41)—Chilly sci-fi synth drone. RIYL Steve Hauschildt.
9. *(4:43)—Warm, dulcet drone. Simple, sweet, satisfying.
10. (6:35)—Slightly discordant and warped, cavernous, minimal. Sparkling strings, soft drone.
11. (5:40)–Grand, cloudy, shoegazey ambient. Streaks of sad cello.