|Oswald, Lucas / Whet|
|Label:||Cosmic Dreamer Music|
|Add Date:||2017-10-29||Pull Date:||2017-12-31|
|Week Ending:||31 Dec||24 Dec||17 Dec||10 Dec||3 Dec||26 Nov||19 Nov||12 Nov|
|1.||Sat, 13 Jan 18:||Eme O|
|4.||Tue, 02 Jan 18:||Jon Cousins|
|2.||Thu, 11 Jan 18:||Jon Cousins|
|5.||Mon, 01 Jan 18:||Jon Cousins|
|3.||Thu, 04 Jan 18:||Jon Cousins|
|6.||Fri, 29 Dec 17:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
“Whet” Lucas Oswald|
Alternative rock and dream pop-rock from long-time multi-instrumentalist and vocalist with the band, Shearwater. Oswald has also been a contributor to The Appleseed Cast, Old Canes and many other bands. “Whet” is his second solo release. The word means “sharpen,” as in what one would do to a blade or tool, and there are plenty of “sharp, abrasive sounds” among the tracks — blended with “washy/reverby textures” more descriptive of whet’s homophone “wet.” The songs range from dense, dreamy and noisy to driving alt rock — with a couple of strummy melodic tracks thrown in. RIYL: Shearwater, Turnover, Ryan Adams, Manchester Orchestra.
Recommended: 2, 3, 1, 8. No FCCs detected.
1. (4:49) I Believe in Trying – Noisy, drifting dream pop-rock. Gets especially noisy in the lead break. Lots of reverb and guitar washes — intermixed with some fingerpicked sections. ***
2. (4:14) Dark on Us – Driving alt rock. Harmonized lead vocals. A variety of layers of sound. Nice tempo changes. Bells. The 1st single, I think. ****
3. (3:45) A Long, Long Year – Mid-tempo, strummy and melodic. Lighter and positive feeling. Glockenspiel. Awesome fuzzy guitar in lead break. ***
4. (6:11) Open Me Up – Ghostly and mysterious. Swirling effects. Processed vocals. Deliberate beat. Twinkling synths. Clock-like effects in 2nd lead break.
5. (4:01) Colors That I Like – Airy, atmospheric and swinging. Breathy vocals over a steady beat. Vibraphone provides foundation, I think.
6. (5:10) Starving – March-like rhythm overlaid with feedback and many layers of sound. Yearning, liquid vocals. The third of three tracks recommended by the record company, but I didn’t like it as much as the four I’ve starred. Worth a listen.
7. (5:23) Feel It Again – Big washes over reverbed dreamy vocals. Song is in 3/4 time. Builds to cacophony of vocals and guitars at the end.
8. (3:33) Passenger – Simple, strummy and acoustic. Transitions to a throwback love song from another era…perhaps the 1970s. Nice duet with Rae Fitzgerald. Rich guitar solo in the lead break. ***
|1.||I Believe In Trying||5.||Colors That I Like|
|2.||Dark On Us||6.||Starving|
|3.||A Long, Long Year||7.||Feel It Again|
|4.||Open Me Up||8.||Passenger|