|Surly / Trip To Warsaw Ep|
|Album:||Trip To Warsaw Ep||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2018-10-24||Pull Date:||2018-12-26||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||30 Dec||16 Dec||18 Nov||4 Nov|
|1.||Dec 31, 2018:||New Years 10-11pm! Yew! |
|4.||Dec 24, 2018:||Pumping Iron |
Trip To Warsaw (Intro)
|2.||Dec 30, 2018:||ad hoc variety show |
|5.||Dec 15, 2018:||Music Casserole |
Train To Lodz
|3.||Dec 27, 2018:||Nowhere Local |
|6.||Nov 13, 2018:||Nowhere Local |
Surly - Trip To Warsaw|
Reviewed by Chano
Polish jazz meets bouncy electronic/juke/footwork music? Very cool sounds on this EP from New Zealand producer based out of California. Both accessible and dynamic in a way that would make it fit in with a variety of genres on your show. Play this along with some jazz, or hip hop, or electronic music of a variety of types and add to the vibe. Play these jams!
FCCs: 4 (a number of F bombs), 5 (more F bombs)
Favorites: 2, 3, 6,
RIYL: DJ Shadow, Aphex Twin, RZA, DJ Rashad, Dilla, Madlib,
1. “Trip to Warsaw (Intro)” - 1:04 - Short intro with midtempo piano, meditative lead vocals, and other sampled vocals coming in panned. An exciting teaser of what’s to come.
2. “Thirteen” - 4:09 - 90s sounding east coast piano loop starts it off; sounds like Gangstarr or the like. Dope. Drums come in at 0:50sec in and things sound more abstract; another piano comes in. Interesting mix of chill vibe samples + chaotic drums, but drum sample sounds very analog/organic rather than super processed/tinny. Piano gets chopped up different about 2:30 in.
3. “4Q 510-511” - 4:08 - driving percussive/bass sample leads into contemplative horns; very tinny juke-y snare comes in; lots of jukey/footwork breakdowns and switch ups on the beat here, but the horns keep the vibe jazzy throughout.
4. “Scare Em to Death” - 4:10 - vocal sample comes in aggressive in the beginning; very jukey footwork vibe from the beginning; there’s a “fuck” around 50seconds unfortunately (maybe this can be edited out). Intense battle vibe on this. The kick drums sound muted in a really nice way. Lots of space for the other samples - vocals, percussive, bassline, guitar, horns - to breathe. Another “fuck” at about 2:20, and 3:55ish.
5. “Wait Til the Stick Comes” - 3:38 - uptempo footwork vibe with vocal sample; critique of police. Lots of F bombs, so it’s not FCC friendly. Safe harbor only unless it gets edited.
6. “Train to Lodz” - 5:15 - dramatic plucked instrument (guitar?) sample; drums and sub bass bring in tension. Drum rolls sound drum-and-bassy. Breakdown at 1:20in. String samples keep the tension up while the drums come in and out. Very cool vibe. Another breakdown around 3:30 and bass pulses and drum rolls interact intensely gentle cymbal sounds.
|1.||Trip To Warsaw (Intro)||4.||Scare Em To Death|
|2.||Thirteen||5.||Wait Til The Stick Comes|
|3.||4q 510-511||6.||Train To Lodz|