Really dynamic pop, synth-pop, “indie-rock”-with-a-beat-that-slaps, whatever you want to call it. This is a great record. Very nice blurring of genres and just comes out banging in the speakers in a super nice poppy yet dark way. This album is a real banger, and Lealani is 19??? Damn, play this now so that KZSU listeners can bask in the dopeness from this LA singer and producer.
Favorites: 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 13,
RIYL: Little Dragon, Broadcast, Bjork, Samiyam
1. “Lonely Stars” - 3:05 - really catchy bassline captures your attention pretty quickly. Vocals are interesting in tone and content.
2. “Floating” - 2:38 - another catchy ass bassline with fantastic drums and vocals about floating. Very trippy in super accessible way. Sort of surreal. Surreal pop? I don’t know but it slaps. Interesting octaves on the bassline? Again, I don’t know technically but this is ill.
3. “The Mountain” - 3:19 - delays sketch out the terrain of this before a gently dramatic loop and reverbed out vocals come in. More banging drums with echoed snare. More slappage.
4. “Broken” - 2:51 - intense track with dramatic lyrics.
5. “The Night” - 4:51 - a banger with all the key ingredients of the previous tracks - thick bassline, bumping drums, and some high end tones. Lealani’s voice and cadence are dynamic and inviting. Very ill.
6. “Long stroll” - 4:32 - Octaved out thick bassline. Nothing new here in terms of the rest of the tracks, just ongoing brilliance. Beat slappppps! Dope echoes on the keys.
7. “Slow On The Weekend” - 3:36 - this one is really nice and melancholy sort of.
8. “Slip Slaughtered” - 4:05 - very nasty 808 sub sounds on this. Driving snare/high hat sounds. Sick cadence on the vocals while just the droning sound is playing before the beat drops.
9. “Seas of Mars” - 2:51 - this one is more chill and even sort of poppier than the rest of the tracks to my ear. Dope guitars - kind of jangly? - come in and give it a rocking vibe. Different from the others and would fit in with your indie rock set.
10. “Galant Boom” - 2:38 - Lots of percussive sounds give it a nice weird feeling. No vocals on this one. Introspective vibes. Cool tones.
11. “Minuscule” - 2:55 - heavy synth action and sick drums! Daaamn this one is fire. Heavy bass, slapppppin drums, and dope vocals. Glitchier stuff gives it cool aggro edge. Ooooouiiiiii!
12. “All The Fishes Swim Above Me” - 2:33 - playful vibe, wobbly bass, midtempo groove. Lyrics about being in a submarine. Very cool.
13. “Trees” - 4:39 - trippy intro, then more beat slappage with slow dramatic synth/strings. Very trippy ethereal stuff with a dope beat.
14. “Little House” - 4:10 - downtempo groove with guitar. Super cool thick sounds and kind of distinct from the rest of the songs.