|Jackson, Joe / Fool|
|Add Date:||2019-02-14||Pull Date:||2019-04-18|
|Week Ending:||14 Apr||7 Apr||31 Mar||24 Mar||17 Mar||10 Mar||3 Mar||24 Feb|
|1.||Sep 01, 2021:||Hanging in the Bone Yard (rebroadcast from Mar 2, 2019) |
Big Black Cloud
|4.||Apr 11, 2019:||Drive Time |
|2.||Jul 04, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler (rebroadcast from Mar 1, 2019) |
|5.||Apr 05, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Nov 22, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Mar 31, 2019:||Music Genealogy |
Big Black Cloud
FCCs: Track 6
IYL: Elvis Costello, XTC, Bowie, Ramones, Steely Dan, Big Audio Dynamite, Iggy Pop
Joe Jackson’s 20th studio album in his 40-year music career. Punky-pop to big band jazz/blues, classical, prog and even a swinging tribute to Duke Ellington. It’s a back to basics album with songs built around the concept of comedy and tragedy. In my opinion, this is his best music to come out post 2000. His unique powerful vocals, catchy songs, socially observant lyrics, wonderful piano playing, and red-hot band are back in full-form. His singing skills are incredible for his age.
“No fooling, Fool ranks among the best works of Jackson’s judicious career, and that’s a solid recommendation in itself.”
My favorite tracks: 5, 2, 4, 1
1. *Big Black Cloud (6:01). Rails against middle-class life. Intro sounds like a thunderstorm. The song then builds into Joe’s amazing piano.
2. ***Fabulously Absolute (4:14). Joe returns to his early post-punk roots, melding punching baselines with melodic breaks. Fast, upbeat. Driving drums, stinging guitar and irate words sung from the viewpoint of a bully who knows he doesn’t fit in with the rest of the world
3. *Dave (5:04). Bouncy with Joe's signature vocal and piano hooks.
4. **Strange land (5:42). Slow, thoughtful ballad. Beautiful piano. Marries jazz and classical with a pop melody. Another Joe classic.
5. ***Friend Better (4:51). Probably the hit off the album. Solid Joe. Sounds like something right off of Night and Day. Great lyrics and hook. Upbeat, bouncy. Steely Dan-ish.
6. (FCC: Fuck) Fool (4:59). Punkish with circus, exotic sounds. Changes to a samba beat toward the end. Hard stop.
7. 32 Kisses (4:28). Medium tempo. Nice melody. Ties in with the Dave track (2).
8. Alchemy (6:50). Slow and dreamy. Smooth flute throughout which floats to keyboards and slow electric guitar. Very melodic. Reminds me of something off “Night and Day”
|1.||Big Black Cloud||5.||Friend Better|