“Daydream Hawker” Go Fever
Go Fever is an Austin-based indie pop-rock band fronted by Australian songwriter and lead vocalist, Acey Monaro. Great guitar-driven rock sound, without the twang of other Austin bands. Confident. Accomplished. Fresh and traditional rock ‘n’ roll at the same time. Big vocals and sharp lyrics that pull no punches in looking at life and relationships. Excellent!
1. (4:00) Olivia – Upbeat, jangly pop-rock. Bright and melodic. Toe-tapping with a snappy drumbeat. (Four FCCs — two bullshits edited perfectly by the band and two pissings, with vocals deemphasized and reversed.) ****
2. (3:52) Feel So Much – Slightly New Wave. Palm-muted guitar and keyboard washes. Driving guitar in lead break. Off-kilter rhythm. ***
3. (4:30) Cling – Slower tempo. Warbly, music box-like keyboards. Clock-like ticking rhythm. Edgy guitar riffs with soaring vocals in the chorus.
4. (3:25) Say The Word – Smooth and satisfying synth pop-rock, with guitar trappings. Tumbling drum line. Swelling chorus with lilting vocals. ***
5. (3:41) KOTRA – Straight-ahead rock with a strong backbeat. Nice mix of guitars and keyboards. A hint of a throwback sound, with homage to the rock of the early 60s. Plinking piano. Glistening guitar riffs. (KOTRA = King of the Roadside Attractions) ****