|Chai / Punk|
|Add Date:||2019-04-02||Pull Date:||2019-06-04|
|Week Ending:||Jun 9||May 26||May 19||May 5||Apr 28||Apr 21||Apr 14|
|1.||Jul 15, 2021:||The Library (rebroadcast from Apr 10, 2019) |
This Is Chai
|4.||Nov 04, 2019:||baggage claim |
|2.||Jun 30, 2021:||The Library (rebroadcast from Apr 10, 2019) |
This Is Chai
|5.||Oct 10, 2019:||organic fruit tracks |
|3.||Dec 09, 2019:||baggage claim: best of the '10s |
|6.||Oct 07, 2019:||baggage claim |
Punk is the second album by Nagoya, Japan electro-rock quarter Chai. Talk about channeling the spirit of the 1990s Japanese alternative scene with style and energy where you can hear traces of Buffalo Daughter, Cornelius, Cibo Matto, and others without sounding awkward and trite. I particularly love the fast tempo tracks and the harmonious vocal work. Wild and fun from east to west and back again. |
Something else from the press release:
Chai’s 2nd album Punk, is the embodiment of the word “punk” in spirit, combined with feelings and experiences they endured during their adventures touring in the US, UK, and Ireland last year. Chai never saw themselves as “punk” nor had they intended music that was considered “punk” so seeing all these articles/interviews done by US & UK-based media coining them “punk”, confused the band. After giving it much thought, Chai finally realized what being called “punk” truly meant. It wasn’t necessarily the type of music they were creating nor what is a specific look. “Punk” was what we had been doing all along…not caring about what people think about us or our music and instead showing everyone who we are and our music, is what “punk” is,” says bassist and person behind all of Chai’s lyrics, Yuuki.
RIYL: Buffalo Daughter, CSS, Kero Kero Bonito, Cibo Matto and Deerhoof.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10
1. (2:43) **Choose Go! – Medium-up tempo. Catchy. Think of Buffalo Daughter. Glossy addictive electro rock.
2. (3:15) **Great Job – Fast tempo. Another solid exercise on speedy pop rock dynamics. Cool chorus.
3. (3:24) *I’m Me – Medium-up tempo. Pop rock that could only be made in Japan. Melodic.
4. (2:38) Wintime – Medium tempo. Another sweet melodic pop composition. Vocal driven. Disco ballad rhythm.
5. (2:37) ***This Is Chai – Fast tempo. Old cartoon sound samples, crazy beats, distorted vocals. Just perfect!!
6. (2:58) **Fashionista – Medium-up tempo. The single of the record. Effective and sticky. Cibo Matto would be proud.
7. (3:10) Family Member – Medium-up tempo. Think Cibo Matto meets Architecture in Helsinki. Vocal driven. It has a 00s vibe.
8. (3:23) *Curly Adventure – Medium tempo. 1990s alternative music forever.
9. (3:40) Feel The Beat – Medium tempo. Closer to Pixx and Kero Kero Bonito here. 21st century electro pop.
10. (3:22) *Future – Medium-up tempo. Socio-political piece. It has a serious vibe. Interesting ending.
|2.||Great Job||7.||Family Member|
|3.||I'm Me||8.||Curly Adventure|
|4.||Wintime||9.||Feel The Beat|
|5.||This Is Chai||10.||Future|