|Vampire Weekend / Father Of The Bride|
|Album:||Father Of The Bride||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2019-05-10||Pull Date:||2019-07-12|
|Week Ending:||14 Jul||7 Jul||30 Jun||23 Jun||16 Jun||9 Jun||2 Jun||26 May|
|1.||May 07, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Oct 02, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
We Belong Together
|2.||Jan 29, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Aug 14, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Dec 18, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Married In A Gold Rush
|6.||Jul 10, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
“Father Of The Bride” Vampire Weekend|
Vampire Weekend is back after a six-year hiatus with extraordinary double album of alternative rock. The group has gone through some changes: lead singer-songwriter, Ezra Koenig, married and become a father. And Rostam Batmanglij left the band (although he did produce and appear on a few of the songs). In response, Koenig reached out to numerous guest artists including Danielle Haim, Steve Lacy, Jenny Lewis, and David Longstreth. Musically, the songs feature bright, catchy melodies and constantly changing rhythms. And as always, Koenig’s lyrics are sharp and intelligent — making observations about life, while not always coming to conclusions. Very highly recommended!
Recommended: 2, 4, 9, 6, 12, 1, 3, 7, 16, 18, 13, 15.
1. (2:34) Hold You Now – Soft, acoustic folk-rock or alt-country goodness. A duet with guest vocalist, Danielle Haim, of L.A. pop-rock band, Haim. Church-like harmonies in the chorus. ***
2. (5:09) Harmony Hall – Pop-rock perfection with a bouncy, free feeling. Fingerpicked guitar. Rollicking piano. Uplifting harmonies in the chorus. Lyrical references to previous Vampire Weekend song, “Fingerback.” Grateful Dead-like guitar jam in the lead break. ****
3. (1:43) Bambina – Novelty tune that alternates between softer and sedate parts and handclapping exuberance, with auto-tuned vocals and an array of sounds and effects thrown in. ***
4. (4:29) This Life – Bright, up-tempo, jangly, and catchy. Shimmering effects on guitars and some vocals. Tinkling piano. Throwback sound like “Brown Eyed Girl.” ****
5. (1:49) Big Blue – More deliberate, with George Harrison-like slide guitar. Lead vocals are backed by choir-like vocals. Feels like a tune that could have come off the Beatles white album. ***
6. (3:32) How Long? – Funky, jazzy and cool. Groovy bass line, toy piano, “plucked” synth sound, finger-snaps. Great lyrics about getting ahead. ***
7. (4:40) Unbearably White – Slower tempo, swelling strings, lilting melody and vocals. Complex rhythm mixing bongos and tom-toms. ***
8. (2:30) Rich Man – Childlike ditty — with keys, a halting tapping rhythm, and shakers. Violin in lead break.
9. (3:42) Married In A Gold Rush – Pulsing keys and Paul Simon-like picked guitar. Pleasing duet between Koenig and Haim. Catchy, and string-backed toward the end. ****
10. (3:19) My Mistake – Club-like jazz ballad. A sorrowful ode sung with a glass of whiskey after a late-night lounge show.
11. (3:47) Sympathy – Up-tempo, danceable tune with a rumba rhythm and frenetic energy.
12. (2:18) Sunflower – Harmonized scat singing, underlain with a prog-like bass line and guitar licks by Steve Lacy of The Internet. ***
13. (3:57) Flower Moon – Opens with sweet, romantic, but processed, vocals. Transforms into light pop-rock with a Brazilian rhythm. Horns added. **
14. (1:38) 2021 – Electro-pop ballad with harpsichord-style keys, chimes and some nice guitar work.
15. (3:11) We Belong Together – One more cute love song duet between Danielle Haim and Koenig. Tinkling piano, synth and guitar. **
16. (4:09) Stranger – Bouncy and upbeat, with almost a tropical feeling. Peppy rhythm interspersed with piano. Harmonized vocals. ***
17. (2:42) Spring Snow – Light and danceable, a couple swinging around the room. Castanets. Shakers. Glistening piano. Vocals, some auto-tuned.
18. (2:55) Jerusalem, New York, Berlin – Thoughtful, somber piano ballad. “So let them win the battle/But don’t let them restart that genocidal feeling that beats in every heart.” ***
|1.||Hold You Now||10.||My Mistake|
|4.||This Life||13.||Flower Moon|
|6.||How Long?||15.||We Belong Together|
|8.||Rich Man||17.||Spring Snow|
|9.||Married In A Gold Rush||18.||Jerusalem, New York, Berlin|