|Olivia Neutron-John / Olivia Neutron-John|
|Label:||Sister Polygon Records|
|Add Date:||2019-07-08||Pull Date:||2019-09-09|
|Week Ending:||25 Aug||11 Aug||4 Aug||28 Jul||21 Jul||14 Jul|
|1.||Sep 15, 2019:||Audio Ambrosia |
|4.||Aug 10, 2019:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|2.||Sep 14, 2019:||Music Casserole |
|5.||Aug 03, 2019:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|3.||Aug 21, 2019:||Magnetized Toner: Summer Mix II |
|6.||Jul 23, 2019:||Attitude Adjustment |
Olivia Neutron-John is the latest self-titled EP by Washington, D.C. electro-experimental pop artist Olivia Neutron-John. Olivia Neutron-John is a peculiar dance journey inspired in part by such Throbbing Gristle’s compositions as Hot On The Heels Of Love or United. Nothing wrong when evoking those artificially generated cold atmospheres of the late 1970s as long as you can still dance to them. |
Something else from the press release:
Their first release since 2014’s Injury Train And I’m Never Getting Off It B/W Vulnerability, Olivia Neutron John’s self-titled EP is astoundingly visceral in its simplicity. Using nothing more than skeletal bass grooves, the eerie pulse of a drum machine, ice cold keyboards and haunting vocals, Olivia Neutron John is able to weave together what is essentially the dance music of your nightmares. An exercise in aural tension against intrinsically catchy rhythms, Olivia Neutron John captures sonic textures ranging from early Throbbing Gristle to Closer-era Joy Division.
RIYL: Throbbing Gristle, Peaches, Suicide, Boy Harsher and Escape-ism.
Recommended Tracks: All! 1, 2, 4, 3, 5
1. (7:28) ***16 Beat – Medium-up tempo. Unorthodox electro pop recording with long, long intro, atmospheric vibe, mechanical sounds, and a captivating vocal intervention. Throbbing Gristle would be very proud.
2. (3:27) **March – Medium-up tempo. Minimal wave exercise. Vintage synths forever.
3. (2:20)**16 Beat (cont.) – Medium-up tempo. Instrumental epilogue of first track.
4. (2:42) *Beguine – Medium tempo. Gloomy and muscular. Suicide would be proud.
5. (3:11) *Joy Or... – Slow tempo. Minimal wave exercise II.
|1.||16 Beat||3.||16 Beat (Cont.)|