|Froth / Duress|
|Add Date:||2019-07-08||Pull Date:||2019-09-09|
|Week Ending:||8 Sep||1 Sep||25 Aug||18 Aug||11 Aug||4 Aug||28 Jul||21 Jul|
|1.||Wed, 25 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|4.||Sat, 14 Sep 19:||Eme O|
|2.||Wed, 18 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Wed, 11 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Sun, 15 Sep 19:||Kim|
|6.||Wed, 04 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
Album / Artist: Duress / Froth|
Label: Wichita Recordings
General Comments / Release Notes
Droning, trancy shoegaze pop songs with great little sonic touches. Echoes of American Analogue and Cocteau Twins, here and there.
Bandcamp Release Notes: After a two-year hiatus, Froth is back with their most fully realized work to date, Duress. Co-produced with longtime friend and collaborator Tomas Dolas (Oh Sees/Mr. Elevator) at his analog-focused Studio 22 in Cypress Park, CA, the record is unapologetically experimental yet undeniably accessible - combining some of the band’s strongest hooks with left-field sounds and unexpected flourishes of electronica. Joo Joo Ashworth has matured into a talented producer in his own right, communicating his singular vision through studio technique as much as his angular, Verlaine-inspired guitar sound. As always, the rhythm section of Jeremy Katz and Cameron Allen displays a tightness and sense of mutual understanding only achieved through years of friendship and extensive touring.
RIYL: Ulrika Spacek, Jesus & Mary Chain, Holydrug Couple, Brian Jonestown Massacre, American Analogue Set, Slint
Play: ** 1 **,2,3,4,5,8
1. **** Laurel 03:15 - Starts off brilliantly with this droning, midtempo, Jesus & Mary Chain like shoegazer. Killer atonal guitar hooks and solos.
2. *** Catalog 03:51 - Buzz and feedback give way to a great breathy. trancy, shoegaze pop pleaser.
3. *** Dialogue 03:59 - Distant, lofi sounding intro breaks into another pleasant, breathy droner. unsettling George Harrison on a bad acid trip guitar is the highlight of this one.
4. *** a2 05:05 - Mid to uptempo, driving mostly instrumental rocker with it’s hair hanging down in it’s face. Words at about 4:30, but they mostly stay out of the way.
5. *** Department Head 04:50 - Nice little shuffling danceable rhythm, remains clocklike as buzzing guitars come in. Airy and pleasant.
6. 77 03:06 - Atmospheric and electronic. Breathy female vocals floating in the upper background.
7. John Peel Slowly 02:08 - Slow, light, electronic and cavernous. Instrumental with Harold Budd style piano.
8. *** Xvanos 05:46 - Very American Analogue Set. Midtempo, brief, spare lyrics. Cool song.
9. Slow Chamber 04:26 - Slow, jangly, breathy and cathedralesque like Spiritualized.
10. Syndrome 04:48 - Buzzy drum machine and ethereal guitars lend to a Cocteau Twins vibe.
|2.||Catalog||7.||John Peel Slowly|