|New Pornographers, The / In The Morse Code Of Brake Lights|
|Add Date:||2019-10-07|| ||Pull Date:||2019-12-09|| |
|Week Ending:||17 Nov||10 Nov||3 Nov||27 Oct||20 Oct||13 Oct|
“In The Morse Code Of Brake Lights” The New Pornographers|
8th album of harmony-laden, uplifting power pop. This Canadian super-group (together with American singer-songwriter, Neko Case) has featured three lead singers since their 2000 debut —AC Newman, Dan Bejar and Case. But for the second album in a row, the group is missing Bejar, who has been focused on his own band, Destroyer. The rich arrangements rely on layered keyboards, guitar, and catchy, often complex, beats. The lyrics — almost exclusively written by Newman — can be biting and depressing at times, but provide a personal perspective on today’s political environment and life challenges. Exceptional album — particularly at the top.
Recommended: 3, 2, 4, 1, 8, 10, 9, 7. FCCs on Track 5.
1. (4:15) You’ll Need A New Backseat Driver – Melodic, propulsive tune driven by a circular bass line, lightly tripping drums and Neko Case’s bright, clear alto vocals. ****
2. (3:12) The Surprise Knock – Shimmering and soaring, with a bouncy beat, thrumming guitars and synths, and captivating guy/girl harmonies. ****
3. (3:45) Falling Down The Stairs Of Your Smile – First single. Upbeat, pulsing, slightly jazzy pop rock with handclaps and a noisy, chanting background. ****
4. (4:04) Colossus Of Rhodes – Anthemic with tinkling piano and swelling orchestral flourishes accompanying Case’s lead vocals. Skittering, tumbling drums and lush harmonies. ****
5. (4:06) Higher Beams – FCCs: F-ck (twice). Starts out like baroque pop. Then, transitions to simple, walking rhythm with chimey keys and Newman on lead vocals.
6. (4:12) Dreamlike And On The Rush – Stop-and-go beat. Off-kilter, minor-key melody. Strings playing off against synths — plus handclaps.
7. (2:22) You Won’t Need Those Where You’re Going – Halting, spare piano ballad with Newman singing the lead. **
8. (3:39) Need Some Giants – Ringing, reverbed keyboard-driven power pop. Newman and Case alternate on the lead. Some guitar in the choruses. ***
9. (3:00) Opening Ceremony – Carefree, happy ditty with lilting, clever lyrics, calliope-like synths and some sort of pan pipe in the background. **
10. (3:55) One Kind Of Solomon – Thumping, tumbling drums with Newman’s rapid-fire lyrics. Case carries the vocals in the lead break. Classic New Pornographers sound. ***
11. (4:33) Leather On The Seat – Big, synth-based anthemic closer. Girls on lead vocals. Guitar effects, noise and some synth strings.