|Shauf, Andy / Neon Skyline, The|
|Album:||Neon Skyline, The||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2020-01-29||Pull Date:||2020-05-13|
|Week Ending:||15 Mar||8 Mar||1 Mar||23 Feb||16 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb|
|1.||Sep 17, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Fire Truck (Radio Edit)
|4.||Jan 08, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler Top 37 of 2020 |
|2.||Jul 09, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Jun 12, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Feb 19, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Living Room (Radio Edit)
|6.||May 29, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Where Are You Judy (Radio Edit)
“The Neon Skyline” Andy Shauf|
Indie pop with elements of jazz, chamber pop and even alt country. Canadian Andy Shauf has created an album about a fictional evening at a real diner/bar, Toronto’s Skyline. PopMatters calls it “introspective without being maudlin,” with vignettes woven around the protagonist; his friend, Charlie; his ex, Judy; a young mother, Claire; and bartender, Rose. Shauf wrote 50 songs and culled them down to 11 — with all songs arranged, performed and produced by Shauf. Arrangements are sparse to ensure the storytelling lyrics are front and center, but nevertheless include guitar, bass, drums, keys, horns, and clarinet. An exceptional release from a fast-rising artist. RIYL: The Tallest Man on Earth, Father John Misty, Fleet Foxes and Paul Simon.
Recommended: 9, 1, 5, 10, 3, 8, 6 FCC clean radio edits on 2, 4, 6 and 10
1. (3:39) Neon Skyline — Melodic, strummy tune with simple, crisp rhythm. Wistful, reminiscing vocals. Clarinet and horns. Keyboards in lead break. ****
2. (3:22) Where Are You Judy (Radio Edit) — Lilting ballad with a hint of jazz at times. Throwback feeling. Plinking keyboards, strummed guitar and clarinet.
3. (2:56) Clove Cigarette — Intricate bass line and rapidly strummed guitar. Plaintive vocals. Harmonies in the warm, wistful choruses. Keys in the lead break. ***
4. (2:59) Thirteen Hours (Radio Edit) — Pensive, jazzy, atonal ballad. Stop-and-go rhythm. Prominent clarinet. Fuzz guitar solo at end.
5. (2:28) The Things I Do — Up-tempo. Chimey keyboards and simple guitar lines with horns. Vocals, harmonized at times. Handclaps. ****
6. (3:06) Living Room (Radio Edit) — Swaying, with intricate triplet-like strumming. Tapping cymbal over 1-2 drumming pattern. Jazzy horns and clarinet. ***
7. (2:41) Dust Kids — Flowing melody with simple snare drum and handclap rhythm. Some keys. Story about thinking about the afterlife.
8. (3:37) The Moon — Slow-tempo, hesitant folk-rock ballad. Uplifting vocals in a higher range tell a wonderful story about trying to make life changes. ***
9. (3:49) Try Again — The single. Fabulous indie pop. Snappy rhythm. Prominent keys. Handclaps. Wry lyrics such as “She puts her hand on the sleeve of my coat/She says 'I've missed this'/I say, 'I know, I've missed you, too'/She says 'I was actually talking about your coat.'" ****
10. (3:22) Fire Truck (Radio Edit) — Strummy folk-pop. Catchy melody with playful keys and tender vocals. Harmonies in the chorus. ***
11. (3:02) Changer — Slow-tempo alt country. Weary rhythm like a walk home at the end of a long night in a bar. Picked guitar with some pedal steel and a bit of clarinet and horns.
|1.||Neon Skyline||6.||Living Room (Radio Edit)|
|2.||Where Are You Judy (Radio Edit)||7.||Dust Kids|
|3.||Clove Cigarette||8.||The Moon|
|4.||Thirteen Hours (Radio Edit)||9.||Try Again|
|5.||The Things I Do||10.||Fire Truck (Radio Edit)|