|Label:||Warner Bros. Records|
|Add Date:||2023-03-30||Pull Date:||2023-06-01|
|Week Ending:||May 21||May 14||May 7||Apr 30||Apr 23||Apr 16||Apr 9||Apr 2|
|1.||Aug 25, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|4.||Jun 30, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Cracker Island (Feat. Thundercat)
|2.||Aug 10, 2023:||down in the basement
Oil (Feat. Stevie Nicks)
|5.||Jun 10, 2023:||Music Casserole
Skinny Ape, Oil (Feat. Stevie Nicks)
|3.||Jul 21, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Jun 09, 2023:||Totally A
Oil (Feat. Stevie Nicks)
English multi-instrumentalist, Damon Albarn, and his musical project, Gorillaz, are back with their 8th album. A virtual band made up of four animated characters, on Cracker Island Gorillaz continues to synthesize alt rock, hip hop and just a hint of dub into art pop songs with catchy melodies and danceable beats. This album draws inspiration from being largely recorded in L.A., rather than in London — and features guest artists such as Stevie Nicks, Thundercat, Kevin Parker (Tame Impala), Bad Bunny, Bootie Brown and Beck. Reviews have been mixed — some saying the act is getting a bit stale, but others saying it’s one of the artist’s best.
Recommended: 1, 4, 9, 2, 8, 10. Radio edits on tracks 5 and 8.
1. (3:34) Cracker Island (Feat. Thundercat) — Toe-tapping synthpop, featuring Albarn on lead vocals with call-and-repeat backing vocals. Lyrics are about the characters falling under a cult’s spell. ****
2. (3:50) Oil (Feat. Stevie Nicks) — Up-tempo pop similar to a Fleetwood Mac tune, with flowing synths and Albarn on lead vocals and Stevie Nicks harmonizing. ***
3. (3:31) The Tired Influencer — Skipping trip-hop beat and wistful vocals — offset with rich harmonies, synth counterpoints and sampled voices.
4. (4:26) Silent Running (Feat. Adeleye Omotayo) — Swelling, mid-tempo ballad. Languid, soulful vocals rise and fall as Omotayo intertwines with Albarn. ****
5. (3:35) New Gold (Feat. Tame Impala and Bootie Brown) (Radio Edit) — Urgent, synth-powered hip hop — with airy choruses courtesy of Tame Impala’s Kevin Parker.
6. (3:40) Baby Queen — Swaying, dreamy and somewhat anthemic. Solid bass line, with handclaps providing added emphasis.
7. (3:32) Tarantula — Disco-influenced strut. Silky lead vocals and jazzy, soulful backing vocals. Synths and electric piano.
8. (3:14) Tormenta (Feat. Bad Bunny) (Radio Edit) — Smooth jazzy Latin number, with lyrics that are almost entirely in Spanish, effortlessly sung by Grammy-winning Bad Bunny. ***
9. (4:41) Skinny Ape — Interesting combination of a folksy vibe and dubstep beat. Extremely hooky melody. Builds to frantic, driving ending. ****
10. (3:26) Possession Island (Feat. Beck) — Soft, strummy closer with Beck. Piano and synth. Brass near the end. Quite nice. ***
11. (3:35) UNEDITED: New Gold (Feat. Tame Impala and Bootie Brown) — The unedited version of Track 5. FCCs: f-cking, bullshit.
12. (3:14) UNEDITED: Tormenta (Feat. Bad Bunny) — The unedited version of Track 8. FCC: “f-ck it” (lyrics in Spanish)