|Album:||Continue As A Guest||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||New Pornographers, The||Added:||Apr 2023|
|Add Date:||2023-04-24||Pull Date:||2023-06-26|
|Week Ending:||Jun 25||Jun 18||Jun 11||Jun 4||May 28||May 21||May 14||May 7|
|1.||Oct 26, 2023:||down in the basement
Last and Beautiful
|4.||Jul 01, 2023:||Hanging In The Boneyard
Really Really Light
|2.||Jul 15, 2023:||Music Casserole
Marie and the Undersea, Angelcover
|5.||Jun 23, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Pontius Pilate’s Home Movies
|3.||Jul 06, 2023:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants
Pontius Pilate’s Home Movies
|6.||Jun 16, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Indie power pop and rock. This is the 9th studio album from the Vancouver-based band led by A.C. (Carl) Newman. Co-founder Dan Bejar (whose own musical project, Destroyer, is taking more time) has departed — although he did co-write the lead single on this album. Neko Case remains, but she isn’t credited with any of the songwriting. The collection of tunes on “Continue As A Guest” veers away from the band’s trademark power pop anthems toward more layered (and perhaps a little less catchy) electro pop and alternative rock — with Newman’s sharp-edged lyrics addressing important themes. RIYL: Destroyer, Jenny Lewis, Neko Case.
Recommended: 2, 1, 8, 6, 9, 3. FCC on Track 5 is edited; original unedited song is now Track 11.
1. (3:21) Really Really Light — 1st single. Chugs along over a slightly warped synth bed. Familiar sound for the band, with A.C. Newman on lead vocals, and Neko Case and Kathryn Calder (Newman’s niece) on harmonies. ****
2. (3:54) Pontius Pilate’s Home Movies — Opens with saxophone, then shifts into a cool, bass-driven, tension-filled anthem with strummed guitar and uplifting choruses. Hookiest tune on the album. 2nd single. ****
3. (3:59) Cat And Mouse With The Light — Airy and flowing soundscape, with playful synths and some sax counterpoint. Case on lead vocals. ***
4. (4:18) Last And Beautiful — March-like…with noisy, clang-y guitars interspersed with occasional ‘yip’ effects and reverbed keyboard arpeggios.
5. (4:24) Continue As A Guest (Radio Edit) — Shimmering and melancholic, trudging toward the reality that we’ll all eventually face a ‘setting sun.’ Steady backbeat, saxophone and female harmonies in the lead.
6. (4:12) Bottle Episodes — Uplifting arrangement, but with cynical lyrics about “dancing with the devil” in a world lit by the artificial glow of screens. ***
7. (4:42) Marie And The Undersea — Case’s swelling vocals soar over big guitar chords, a syncopated rhythm and keys in the lead break — plus that saxophone again.
8. (3:31) Angelcover — Another pulsing, industrial-sounding tune, with male and female vocals in counterpoint, and a synth flute providing a bit of relief. ****
9. (3:22) Firework In The Falling Snow — Appealing mid-tempo pop in a more traditional New Pornographers style, with Newman on lead vocals. ***
10. (5:20) Wish Automatic Suite — Long enough to be considered a ‘suite’ — lighter and wistful in places and rocking in others. Slows about 3 minutes in and becomes contemplative with lots of ‘ahhs’ in the backing vocals. Trails out for the final 45 seconds.
11. (4:24) Continue As A Guest (UNEDITED…sh-t!) — Non-FCC clean version of Track 5.