|Tom Cora / It's a Brand New Day|
|Album:||It's a Brand New Day||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Tom Cora||Added:||Nov 2000|
|Label:||Knitting Factory, the|
|1.||Mar 08, 2005:||Umami Jazz Program |
Ce Grand Neant
|4.||Feb 23, 2001:||Umami Jazz Program |
|2.||Jan 26, 2003:||Oh Messy Life |
|5.||Jan 26, 2001:||Umami Jazz Program |
|3.||Feb 23, 2001:||Memory Select |
|Your Imaginary Friend|
Amazing cellist Tom Cora gets upright bass, acoustic guitars, and everything in between out of his instrument. This is high-end avante NYC downtown jazz that has elements of no-wave rock dissonance. Pitz and scratched strings (violins? Cello? Bass? Probably all Tom’s cello…). Piano, clarinet, trumpet join him in this live recording brought to you as a tribute by the likes of Zorn. Mostly free-form but melodic often. All fantastic. |
1) edgy cello, upright, drums, female voc as an instrument (not in forefront),midtempo minor feel
2) rather no-wave: 4/4 midtempo rock drums scronking sax, abstract strings
3) jazzier: violin/cello takes lead over vaguely latin tribal flavored rhythm, clarinet appears
4) upright, piano w/treatments, acous guit (?), pitz cello dissonant and abstract free form w/o drums
5) trumpet w/barrage of piano strings and upbeat mostly straightforward drums gives way to slow bowed minor bridge then into walking more typical jazziness, trumpet solo, excellent bowing.
6) weird bowing and string plucking extravaganza, free form and abstract.
7) upbeat triplet drum beat, string melody led w/female vocalizations, upright, , rhythmic throughout
8) amazing cello solo, sounds like a violin and a bass and a guitar all at once, but no.
|2.||High Sidewalk||6.||Elia's Hubcaps|
|3.||Andy's Fault||7.||Ce Grand Neant|
|4.||Les Instants Chavires||8.||Hey,My Mosey Mose|