|Various Artists / Broasted or Fried|
|Album:||Broasted or Fried||Collection:||General|
|1.||Jul 22, 2020:||Some Songs Without Words |
Flight to Cuba
|4.||Dec 24, 2001:||Dollar Bin |
|2.||Jan 11, 2012:||Soul Spectrum |
Seeds of Life
|5.||Nov 26, 2001:||Dollar Bin |
Use It Before You Lose It
|3.||Jan 09, 2002:||Sonic Tardis |
|6.||Oct 15, 2001:||Dollar Bin |
Canta Una Simple
|The Dead Kenny-Gs|
Broasted or Fried--Latin Breakbeats, Basslines & Boogaloo|
Funky New York Latin Soul. This CD is the one of the best compilations I've ever heard. Each one of these tracks is classic dance floor Boogaloo. It will make you move with Latin percussion mixed in with classic funk and jazz elements like Hammond organ, horns, and guitar. Lyrics are generally in English with the touches of Spanish. Bands range from biggies in Latin jazz (Puente, Mann) to ultra obscure rarities. ALL TRACKS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, play constantly at maximum volume
1) *Very danceable, hand clapping and English vocals
2) *Medium tempo groovin' boogaloo with percussion, English vocals, piano, horns
3) *Jazzy and danceable, male vocal plus sassy fem chorus
4) *Great groover, English and Spanish vocals, jazzy horn interludes
5) *Very obscure (and Lo-Fi) Latin funk, heavy JB's flavor, especially with the Baritone hitting on the one backed by horns on the three and four, a taste of Hammond, flute, and tight funk guitar.
6) Funk rock, English vocals, horns, guitar, and Latin percussion
7) *Bass, handclaps, English vocals bringing in more layers of instrumentation. Sweet boogaloo from Mongo Santamaria's son Monguito.
8) Doo-wop vocals with steady Latin Rhythm
9) *Up-tempo, larger band led by Tito Puente, cinematic (Blaxploitation) flavor
10) *Fun Boogaloo, horns and danceable groove. Rhythmic Spanish coro with English vocal
11) *Latin flavored cover of Sly and the Family Stone with great trio vocals
12) *Swinging jump/rockin' boogaloo with, male vocals in English, with teenage girl chorus
13) Up-tempo and jazzy but sparse, featuring Herbie Mann's flute Johnny Rae's vibes, rhythmic piano comping.
14) *Drum break and wa-wa guitar, sharp horns, Hammond and trumpet solos.
Tom Purcell, November 2000