Cool retro-Coltrane sax from Mahanthappa. He's got a thick, buzzy tone which gives this disc its weight. The sax solos are interesting & original, unfortunately the piano is a bit more lightweight. A nice combo though.
1. Dark & upbeat w/ nice sax
2. Playful med-tempo
3. Quiet, slow
4. Twisty and light, almost tripping over itself
5. Calm, pensive, each note carefully chosen
6. Driving, off-kilter groove.. think Coltrane's "Ole"
7. Complicated piano/sax runs over slow groove
8. Meandering med-tempo
9. Free tempo sax solo
10. Short slow intro to..
11. Stately expansive closer