|Chance, James / Irresistible Impulse|
|Label:||Tiger Style Records|
|Add Date:||2003-04-07||Pull Date:||2003-06-09|
|Week Ending:||15 Jun||1 Jun||4 May||27 Apr||20 Apr||13 Apr|
|1.||Aug 29, 2006:||Umami Jazz Program |
|4.||Aug 23, 2004:||Civil Society In Your Ear |
I Don't Want to Be Happy
|2.||Aug 02, 2005:||Sex Wax and Foreplay |
|5.||Aug 02, 2004:||Cleanup on Aisle You |
|3.||Jul 01, 2005:||Distraction-Limited |
|6.||Mar 31, 2004:||sad and dangerous |
Lots of great songs fill this sampler from NY No Wave legend’s compiled discography AKA The Contortions. This disc rocks with hard funk bass lines, whiny sax solos, jangly guitars, and of course the James Brown voice. Clearly, he precedes many who now sport the irresistible James Brown punk aesthetic. From the write-up: Jon Spencer, the Rapture, Liars. Of course, think also of The Slits, Gang of Four. (NOTE: Trks 1 & 2 are the same song.) 3, 7, 9, 12.|
1, 2. great whiny sax solos and bass-driven james brown funk.
3. **catchy groove with girl chorus for the contortions.
4. instrumental with whining sax, hard funk led by bass, jangly guitar.
5. steady beat with two female voices with attitude a la the Slits.
6. upbeat 70s funk w/ sax, wah wah guitar, bass. very james brown.
7. guitar part is best in this one. fantastic james brown voice.
8. steady groove with voice, jangly guitar rhythms.
9. very catchy. led by sax and james brown voice.
10. slow number with wandering bass, noises, screwy voice.
11. upbeat funk instrumental w/ lots of noisy sax and organ solos.
12. slow, catchy singalong. ends with lots of sax. very cool.
|1.||Sax Maniac||7.||Designed to Kill|
|2.||Sax Maniac||8.||I Don't Want to Be Happy|
|3.||Contort Yourself||9.||Throw Me Away|
|4.||White Devil||10.||That's When Your Heartaches|
|5.||Almost Black||11.||Caravan/It Don't Mean a Thin|
|6.||Super Bad||12.||I Danced with a Zombie|