The 11th album from Bill Callahan is great! Mostly pensive indie country feel. Collaborators of note include Jim White, drummer of the Dirty Three. With a great sense of musical and poetic timing, Bill Callahan and his deep, unassuming voice give the album all of its sweet charm. There is something for everyone on this album whether you need slow and quiet, indie rockin’, smooth flowing, or a small dose of abstract innovation. This album is great from start to finish. Think also of Silver Jews, Beat Happening.
1, 6, 8, 2, 5.
1. FCC shit. serene, sad country song with pedal steel guitar.
2. repetitive rock rhythm, turns into indie a la beat happening. great!
3. midtempo indie rockin’ with prominent electric guitar riff.
4. midtempo indie rock, pensive like silver jews.
5. slow, swung acoustic country number. so sweet.
6. sad, gorgeous acoustic guitars, pedal steel, drum rolls, chorus.
7. mellow, fluid feeling electric guitars, like acetone or luna.
8. echoing voices, guitar and banjo snippets, free drums, abstract
9. quiet lullaby with 6/8 guitar with voice. ends incomplete.