|Lowlights / Lowlights|
|Add Date:||2003-06-09||Pull Date:||2003-08-11|
|Week Ending:||27 Jul||20 Jul||13 Jul||6 Jul||29 Jun||15 Jun|
|1.||Oct 07, 2004:||Fiction Romance |
Last and Alone
|4.||Aug 23, 2003:||In the Leaves |
How Does It Feel
|2.||May 07, 2004:||Distraction-Limited |
|5.||Jul 26, 2003:||In the Leaves |
|3.||Oct 29, 2003:||In the Leaves |
How Does It Feel
|6.||Jul 23, 2003:||press and release |
In the Distance
Lowlights is a dreamy indie-country band from Humbolt County, CA fronted by Dameon Lee of Scared of Chaka. _Lowlights_, recorded by Dustin Reske of Rocketship, is a fantastic debut album. Obvious comparisons: a more sincere Court & Spark, a detached and spacey Sadies, a very sad Beachwood Sparks. Whatever. _Lowlights_ is an album of moody atmospheric pieces (1,4,6) and gloomy country-influenced pop songs (3,7,11,12) all with a heavy-reverb parched psychedelic American Southwest feel. |
There is a kind of similarity to the songs. Most of them are _slow_. With few exceptions, they begin with spare acoustic guitars and treated vocals. Electric instruments join in later. There are often weird, detached instrumental breaks in the songs.
If you like this album, check out Lowlights' take on "Catch the Wind" on the Donovan tribute.
Stand-out tracks: 12, 8, 2, 9, 6, 9, 10, 11
1. Spacious with a spaghetti western feel. Spooky treated vocals.
2. Sad, pedal-steel, catchy melody
3. Acoustic driven, catchy
4. shimmering, slow, horns at end, spacey
5. short pop song, acoustic intro, spooky
6. slow; parched, desert feeling
7. More of a pop song, spooky
8. Long intro, song begins 1:00 into track, sweet vocals, ringing guitar. Sad, moving.
9. weird female-sounding vocals, minimal accompaniment, short with sudden ending
10. draggy, philosophical pop song. Organ-driven
11. More dramatic, acoustic groove
12. acoustic until the very end, sad, epic, pedal-steel accompaniment
|1.||In the Distance||7.||Last and Alone|
|4.||Brown Eyes||10.||Too Late|
|5.||Restless and Young||11.||Flowers in Her Hair|
|6.||Gare Du Nord||12.||How Does It Feel|