|Fleshtones, the / Do You Swing?|
|Add Date:||2003-06-23|| ||Pull Date:||2003-08-25|| |
|Week Ending:||3 Aug||27 Jul||20 Jul||13 Jul||6 Jul||29 Jun|
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Fuckin' awesome. Say hello to one of the best garage-rock records made in the last decade or ever. Screw garage-rock revival (the Hives etc) and let these old schoolers show you how it's really done. Old school (mid-sixties) take-no-prisoners garage rawk: raw/primal punk-like drum beats intermixing with popier hand-claps and tambourines, a hair-raising organ that delivers anything from delicious melodies to ferocious rhythmic assaults, wholesome harmonica outbreaks (R'n'B style), real and heart-felt vocals that resonate to anything from garage-punk screams to melodic yeh-yeh's, and finally, sharp guitar strumming and soloing coming through old-school distortions such as reverb and fuzz. Long live rock'n'roll. The Fleshtones are pushing 50+; they have been around since 1976, but here they sound like it is 1966 and in their pants, you can still glipse those teenage garage-rock hard-on's. Hats off to the Fleshtones! Every track is upbeat, loud and rocking... SO GOOD, SO PERFECT. |
Play 4, 5, 1, 8, 9, 10 (harsh garage). Play 2, 3, 6, 7, 11 (lighter and happier). Play 12 (if you love/hate Zeppelin)
1. 1-2-3-4...! A cross between the New Bomb Turks and the Hives. Serious attitude. Nice high pitched hollering.
2. Rhythm'n'blues base, harmonica and chorus. Sharp guitar strumming at the end of each bar. Hand-claps. Pshychedelic guitar solos.
3. Party happy atmosphere. A 1960s yeh-yeh-yeh dancy beat, nice vocal frolic, nice hand-claps, nice organ notes
4. Wow! The organ here pounds beats down like nails in a cement floor. An evasive and lacy keyboard melody and some serious fuzzed up guitar riffing in the background.
5. Ripping drum work and organ beat. Rowdy and rebellious vocals. A bar of slick organ notes on the chorus.
6. 60s rock'n'roll number. It will make you dance and shake.
7. Naive, care-free, melodic, catchy, popy, silly... in a dancy 60s way. Nice.
8. Yardbirds meet Captain Beefheart. Serious garage attitude and enough reverb to make your head melt...!!!
9. Awesome vocal screams. A garagy rhythm guitar base that reminds me of the Chocolate Watch Band.
10. Another screaming chune. It rocks! Awesome fuzzed up lead guitar drilling beats away.
11. Spacey rocking beats and instrumental attitude. A surf instrumental with psychobillic pretentions and lots of Booker T. and the MG's on the organ.
12. A LED ZEPPELIN cover... enough to make Bill's head spin about 78 times per minute.
13. Straight forward rock - Melodic, catchy chorus. An ethereal, care-free coda (oooh-oooh vocals).