|Various Artists / Masked and Anonymous|
|Album:||Masked and Anonymous||Collection:||General|
|1.||May 27, 2022:||Traditions |
City of Gold
|3.||Jan 21, 2022:||Traditions |
On a Night Like this
|2.||Mar 18, 2022:||Traditions |
Most of the Time
|4.||Dec 20, 2013:||Eclectic Erudition (Sub for AJ's The Fall Of Math) |
On a Night Like this
|pat blue ribbon|
Masked and Anonymous -- Soundtrack |
Hmmmm -- this one's a bit of a puzzler. The soundtrack from a recent movie starring and allegedly co-written by Bob Dylan, this album mixes covers of Dylan songs (some in foreign languages), and re-worked Dylan songs by Mr. Dylan. The covers are a mixed bag -- hearing Dylan songs in Japanese or Italian or Spanish hip-hop is novel but the interest wears off after a few listens. But there are a few good covers by Turkish and Swedish and Mexican pop stars. The Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia covers are bad! Bob's reworking of his own songs are pretty good but not earthshaking and his take on traditional songs (Dixie and Diamond Joe) are surprisingly good. This is album is somewhat like ol' Bob himself -- challenging you to not like it, to talk behind his back, to define him wrongly, to discard it as a bad career move.You be the judge, but after all, you just want to be on the side that's winning.
PICS: 14, 9, 3, 5, 9, 7, 10
1. preacher talking about God, then "My Back Pages" in Japanese
2. nice soul/gospel cover of "Gotta Serve Somebody by Shirley Caesar
3. Bob's new version of Down in the Flood -- faster
4. grateful dead -- snooze
5. Swedish female singer -- folky/beautiful
6. Los Lobos -- mixes Spanish and English lyrics
7. Dylan's version of Diamond Joe -- foot-stompin'
8. Mixing "Like a Rolling Stone" samples and Spanish hip-hop -- bad!!
9. Turkish pop star -- "One more cup of coffee" -- dramatic/symphonic pop
10. Italian Dylan-esque singer -- good!
11. Dylan singin' Dixie
12. Jerry Garcia -- zzzzzzzz
13. more rockin Dylan version of "Cold Irons Bound"
14. old man philosophizing then gospel/bluegrass cover of "City of God" -- best song on the album