|Various Artists / Meat/Bar|
|Add Date:||2004-01-12||Pull Date:||2004-03-15|
|Week Ending:||1 Feb||18 Jan|
|1.||Jan 30, 2004:||Juan-2-3-Show |
|4.||Jan 14, 2004:||Stirling's Approximation |
|2.||Jan 29, 2004:||These Holes Three |
|5.||Jan 13, 2004:||Meat Man Whistle Punching Sex Contest |
|3.||Jan 14, 2004:||Brownian Motion |
No Really, I Can Drive
|pat blue ribbon|
A set of songs from Infernal Bridegroom Productions, an under-ground theatre group in Houston. These songs were part of a play about barflies called "Songs from the Meat/BAR" and has songs by Houston-area musicians that were associated with the theatre group at one time or another. As you might expect from a play about drinking and dive bars, the songs definitely have a wee-hours feel to them -- scratchy Tom Waits-esque howls, drunken emotional ballads, and cursing. It's sort of as if Brecht/Weill met in Houston instead of Germany.
PICKS: 11, 10, 13, 6, 8 FCCs: 1,4,5, 9
1. sweet female singer/songer ballad – FCC - "fuck"
2. jazzy trumpet + bari sax -- jug band/funk
3. female singer, poppy indie ballad
4. FCC "fuckin" many times
5. great Waits-esque drunken ballad, but alas, FCCs.
6. slow ballad -- female jazz singer + keyboards -- good
7. big bass lines, then keyboards
8. goofy song about God eating cheese
9. cheery hooks -- FCC "fuck"
10. instrumental -- trombone, slide guitar
11. accordion!! washboard!! cajun/jug band song about driving home after drinking, so not exactly PC -- but great!!
12. drums + samples + slide trumpet -- somewhat jazzy/trip-hop
13. slow instrumental with piano and wailing trombone --good
14. female country-esque ballad
15. reprise of track 4 --