|Nonesuch Explorer Series / East Africa: Ceremonial & Folc|
|Album:||East Africa: Ceremonial & Folc||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Nonesuch Explorer Series||Added:||09/2003|
|Add Date:||2004-05-24||Pull Date:||2004-07-26||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||25 Jul||13 Jun||30 May|
|1.||Nov 08, 2014:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Jul 21, 2004:||Juan 2-3-Show |
|2.||Mar 20, 2007:||Into the Nada |
|5.||Jul 20, 2004:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|3.||Oct 31, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|6.||Jun 08, 2004:||sun in libra moon in pisces |
From 1975 this release includes drum, instrumental, and vocal music from Uganda, Zaire, Kenya, and Tanzania. Recorded live in the field, these tracks exude raw energy and spiritual power. Read the notes and open your mind. Amazing stuff that is nearly impossible to describe as it’s not just music, it’s life. |
*1. Powerful mix of voices, drums, whistles, & cries. Wow.
*2. Spoken word into amazing maze of horns & chants. Haunting.
*3. Strings/vocals/whistles. Captivating & unpredictable.
4. A family group in a relaxed kind of drone about giraffes.
5. Downtempo call-response series w/fascinating vocals.
6. Wailing voices w/long droning passages. About hippo hunting.
7. Initiation ceremony w/village sounds, chanting, horns.
8. Masai women call-response in praise of their men.
9. Warriors returning from a raid. Quiet spots, cries, rhythmic calls.
*10. Droning chorus, wailing calls.
11. Strings, big chorus, great growling vocals. A busy thing.
*12. A wedding song w/bells/horns/claps/vocals/stomps.
12. Mbiras/chanting/buzzing. A uptempo and intricate sound.
|1.||Acholi Bwala Dance||7.||Samburu Warriors' Initiation|
|2.||Aluar Horns||8.||Masai Women|
|3.||Enanga||9.||Masai Raiding Songs|
|5.||Turkana Songs||11.||Wagogo Soothing Song|
|6.||El Molo Hippo Song||12.||Wagogo Marriage Ritual|