|Roy, Arundhati / Come September|
|Album:||Come September||Collection:||Spoken Word|
|Add Date:||2003-09-15||Pull Date:||2003-11-17|
|Week Ending:||5 Oct||28 Sep||21 Sep|
|1.||Dec 05, 2007:||Baptism of Solitude |
Power Has a Shelf Life
|4.||Jul 25, 2005:||Stirling's Approximation |
Commerce of Grief
|2.||Nov 28, 2007:||public noize racket |
Power Has a Shelf Life, Business of War, Preaching Peace While Waging, Many Septembers, Commerce of Grief, The World in Thoer Terms, Suspicion of Nationalism, Dangerous Things
|5.||Aug 28, 2004:||Storytime!--Magic |
Many Septembers, Commerce of Grief
|3.||Jan 26, 2006:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
|6.||May 05, 2004:||Stirling's Approximation |
Well spoken Indian writer and activist Arundhati Roy in a speech given 9/2002. She brings a different perspective to the discussion, comparing the tactics of the Indian government with the jingoistic Bush administration. A great speech finishing up with a scathing indictment of US excess and an impassioned hope for a more fair world.
The first half of the cd is a speech, followed by a Q & A with Zinn and the audience. The speech is very powerful, the Q & A is more personal information about Roy and how she ended up where she is.
1. Long, boring, rambling introduction by Zinn
2. Speech introduction by Roy.
3. Power and the nationalism abused to keep it.
*4. Anti-jingoistic soundbite
*5. "War on Terrorism" from 9-11 to Iraq, the manipulation of the grief by the US. Comparing this to coup in Chile in the 1970s.
6. Continuing talk about Western (US/UK) arrogance in meddling with governments around the world. A Palestinian view of Israeli history and current events relating to the war in Iraq.
*7. The war criminal Saddam Hussein and his former best friends, the US government.
8. Oil and why the US is really at war.
*9. Globalization and resistance in the Third World. "The American way of life is not sustainable". 1 min of applause at end.
Q & A with Roy & Zinn
10. Intro and talking about writing books
11. Her beginnings as an activist.
12. Life as a single woman after a divorce
13. The middle class as a way for the rich to avoid the problem of the poor.
*14. The obfuscation of the justice system in India and the US.
*15. "Literature is the opposite of the nuclear bomb."
16. Short inspirational story.