|Larsen, John / Kismet|
|Artist:||Larsen, John||Added:||Oct 2003|
|Add Date:||2003-11-17||Pull Date:||2004-01-19|
|Week Ending:||Jan 18||Jan 11||Dec 21||Dec 14||Nov 23|
|1.||Sep 06, 2004:||The Longest Short Song Marathon |
|4.||Jan 07, 2004:||sad and dangerous |
On An Ice Block
|2.||Jan 15, 2004:||15 Miles til Sunday |
The Flashing Flail From Heav
|5.||Dec 18, 2003:||15 Miles til Sunday |
On An Ice Block
|3.||Jan 08, 2004:||Love on a Mix Tape |
|6.||Dec 10, 2003:||sad and dangerous |
WOW, THIS IS WONDERFUL!!! From Portland, Oregon, John Larsen produces a melancholic nostalgia in the same way as Yo La Tengo, using poppy progressions with some fuzz. He uses plate reverb vocals very effectively, which produces a timeless quality to the more rockin' songs. Vocals kind of remind me of some older Flaming Lips. As a whole, the album stays captivating, with upbeat pop songs, sad songs, and groovin songs. All great! |
6, 3, 7, 9, 4, 5.
1. strummy, pensive acoustic + plate-verb vox. breaks out w/ organ.
2. 30 sec sample
3. upbeat indie pop rockin', nostalgic sounding.
4. sentimental verse w/ nice reverb on vox.
5. lo-fi piano + guitar, w/ adorable vocals. spacey groove at end.
6. spacy, moody beautiful tremolo guitar, extremely nostalgic. great!
7. acoustic guitar+ distant voice, then lazy groove, phaser on drums.
8. short song of just arpeggiated tremolo guitar + plate vocals.
9. catchy indie pop beat, melancholic vocals, spacey breaks at end.
10. bluesy guitar + plate vocals, then beautiful fuzzy spacey end.
11. sustained keyboard chords, slow swinging looped beat.
|2.||Ducking Interlude||7.||Medicine Cabinet|
|3.||A Rose in Reverse||8.||The Bleacher's Feet|
|4.||Venus of Willendorf||9.||Snap and Crackle|
|5.||On An Ice Block||10.||The Flashing Flail From Heav|
|11.||You Are My Sunshine|