Hailing from Denver, CO, Dressy Bessy are one of KZSU’s indie-pop familiars. They need no introduction. This release rings Throwing Muses and Breeders so much… can’t get it outta my head. Laidback, innocent, careless, fresh, and sweet. Sugary guitar riffs, pretty vocals (Kristin Hersh-like vocal choruses, melodies and harmonies), Breederesque bass/guitar lines and lots of cymbal and tambourine percussion. I have to admit that I’m a sucker for Tammy’s (the lead-singer and guitarist) Go-Go boots. And that leg kick she does when she sings… so cute! Dressy Bessy are my favorite kind of candy… Sour Starbursts-like taste and quality. Well… just press “PLAY”!
PLAY: 1, 9, 4, 2, 3
1. 2-3-4! Sweet rocker! Punchy! Muses & Breeders
2. Marching tempo, heavy bass lines. Ethereal vocals. Edgy.
3. Head-bopper/swinging bass lines.
4. “Vicious! You hit me with the flower…” Doesn’t this rip off Lou Reed’s classic?
5. Blunt, bitter.
6. Flowing groove. Backing vocals scream Kim Deal and the Breeders.
7. Nostalgic, slow, lyrical.
8. Choppy, riffy. Late 60s Brit psych vox
9. YEAH! Bouncy, rocking! Goose-bumping vocals. Hand-claps.
10. Stomping rhythm. Ripe.
11. Another number that reminds me of the Throwing Muses.