|Lewis, Jeffrey / It's the Ones Who've Cracked|
|Album:||It's the Ones Who've Cracked||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Rough Trade Records|
|Add Date:||2003-12-22||Pull Date:||2004-02-23|
|Week Ending:||4 Jan|
|1.||Aug 28, 2008:||Undrinkably Bad Oddities |
No Lsd Tonight
|3.||Dec 31, 2003:||In the Leaves |
I Saw a Hippie Girl on 8TH
|2.||Jun 05, 2004:||Mor On - The Literate Pop Fan |
Don't Let the Record Label
I call this urban-geek folk. Sort of in the tradition of the Moldy Peaches. Most of these songs are him and a guitar – he departs four times for some rock-a-billy. Save the rock songs, most of his vocals are spoken melodically over the guitar more than sung. Not much of a musical statement, although there are some nice moments. If you like Evil Dead you should play track 10. Most of the lyrics are cute and playful, but they don’t resonate in the way I think he wants them to. Most of them are written with a sense of humor for and about lonely guys in their twenties and early thirties – the kind of guys that will connect with odd lyrics – yet the folk simplicity fails to really take root beyond his own quirky world – which makes it all seem a bit self-indulgent and/or cute. It sounds like a few guys having a good time on their four-track. Which isn’t a bad thing – but I’ve heard the same thing done better. |
Play this song*
1. Up-tempo – guitar – talking rant – a “Back when I was _ “ – fill in age and give bit of life story. Has a few nice images.
2. *Mid-tempo – guitar – a nice cello. Not cute and smug like most of the others.
3. Up-tempo – About LSD – so I think FCC, but it isn’t a good song anyway.
4. Down-tempo – guitar – about record labels.
5. Up-tempo – guitar – pretty cool guitar riff.
6. Up-tempo – electric guitar/band – FCC – also not a good song anyway.
7. Ballad – mellow guitar and cello again – has whale noises in the background.
8. Up-tempo – quiet fast plucking guitar – lyrics come in super fast succession. Some low-fi harmonies toward the end before breaking into big bad electric guitar band song.
9. Instrumental – noise loops.
10. *Fast - Begins with a sound bit about ghouls invading the U.S.A – ridiculous song – sort of rock-a-billy. Play this if you are looking for a silly quirky low-fi song – sort of like a good bad movie. This could be appreciated on college radio.
11. Up-tempo – guitar - “I still hate deodorant and I still sing songs…It’s gotten to the point I don’t identify with Phish fans anymore.” – a coming of age song in this guy’s world.
12. Fast – rock-a-billy again.
13. * Mid-tempo – guitar – with nice piano – he pays attention to writing a nice hook. This one has a chorus.
|1.||Back When I Was 4||7.||Sea Song|
|3.||No Lsd Tonight||9.||Zaster|
|4.||Don't Let the Record Label||10.||If You Shoot the Head You Ki|
|5.||Gold||11.||I Saw a Hippie Girl on 8TH|
|13.||You Don't Have to Be a Scien|