|Brian Jonestown Massacre / ...And this Is Our Music|
|Album:||...And this Is Our Music||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Brian Jonestown Massacre||Added:||11/2003|
|Label:||Tee Pee Records|
|Add Date:||2004-03-01||Pull Date:||2004-05-03|
|Week Ending:||18 Apr||11 Apr||28 Mar||21 Mar||7 Mar|
|1.||Sat, 04 Feb 12:||Largos|
The Groove Machine
|4.||Thu, 15 Apr 04:||Katy & Murray|
|2.||Sat, 08 Aug 09:||Gus the Fat & the Peanut Galle|
|5.||Thu, 08 Apr 04:||Katy & Murray|
|3.||Fri, 20 May 05:||Megan|
|6.||Fri, 26 Mar 04:||Riina|
Okay, it will not surprise fans of BJM to know that this album is all over the place. Most of the rock numbers explore a happy medium of 60s and 80s rock influences. These guys like Morrissey, because they sing like him often, like on 4 and 5. Most of the rock songs are rooted in synthesizer, but don’t use it like a crazy person to carry the melodies. It gets psychedelic sometimes. They toss in several instrumentals that range from rock, electronic house music, and country. BJM is not afraid to use horns – and use them to great effect on 9, a great instrumental – think Calexico, but with outer space sounds instead of Tex-Mex. This is the sound of a talented band with a strong cult following that has given up all apprehensions of being commercial and is thus doing whatever they feel like. Some tracks work better than others, but as an album it is quite interesting. – Matt M. |
Play this song *
1. A phone message – lots of fucks. FCC
2. Down-tempo - One minute instrumental with a flute and dreamyness.
3. * Mid-down-tempo – strong synthesizer and slow drum machine. Pleasant guitar.Very minor key – broodish, but with a good hook. I like his vocals here. 2:28.
4. Mid-down-tempo – Morrissey-like vocals during verses – the chorus is a pretty sweet transition.
5. Up-tempo – powerpop number stuck somewhere between Morrissey and Radiohead.
6. Mid-up-tempo – this has a very full sound – vocals are distant – muted psychedelic driving guitar.
7. Up-tempo - begins with trombone over distortion and a pretty acoustic guitar. Then it gets really psychedelic, spacey, but retains the traditional rock and roll framework. Good song to do cocaine to.
8. Down-tempo – acoustic – sort of a sinister and slightly fucked up cousin to a 60s love ballad. Some trombone at the tail end.
9. * This song is called “You look great when I’m fucked up,” which is funny. It is a great instrumental. Sloppy horns – NMH style start it out along with a bit of distortion. Lots of melodic moaning and spacey sound effects – but this really works. A great experimental rock instrumental.
10. *Mid-tempo – nice slow rocker with electricness. Sounds like they from the current Britain scene.
11. Up tempo – crazy congos for 44 seconds.
12. Mid-up tempo – an instrumental called “Prozac versus Heroin Revisited,” which is also funny. This is very electronic house music. Not bad, it makes me want to do ecstasy and touch soft things.
13. Up-tempo – one of their more straight-forward rockers here.
14. *Mid-tempo – a very pretty folk-rock acoustic instrumental with dobro guitar.
15. Mid-up-tempo - trumpet begins and then violin. Sounds like they are from the 60s British scene.
16. Down-tempo – another electronic instrumental – this one meanders.
17. back to the phone message about girl trying to get a hold of guy – no fucks this time – so play it.